A
At home in NZ
Guest
An all too common mistake, especially in spoken English. The short version of would have is would've not would of.
It certainly is. You wouldn't believe how people wrote in about it - they clearly hadn't read the article!An all too common mistake, especially in spoken English. The short version of would have is would've not would of.
Guilty as charged, I couldn't get past one of my pet hates, I've read it now though.It certainly is. You wouldn't believe how people wrote in about it - they clearly hadn't read the article!
Unfortunately I hear it a lot and especially notice it on TV including programmes from the UK. Sad old me still watches Coronation Street and one particular character grates on me whenever he uses the incorrect pronunciation - should of.It jumped out at me as soon as I saw the e-mail, but I did take the time to read the article.Unfortunately, I see it a lot on Facebook.
Which Coronation was it named for, I wonder?Coronation Street
Originally the programme was going to be called Florizel Street but the story goes it was changed to Coronation Street because it sounded better.A quick look for Coronation Street/Road/Square in Google Earth only finds ones built in the early 20th century. Obviously a build date in the first half of the nineteenth century is possible, but the latter half is unlikely. So I wonder it it was sneakily picked for the programme as a name you'd not find among the kind of housing being used as a setting.
It reminds I once picked my wife up for saying 'Should of' (it was long ago and I lived to tell the tale) only to be told ..."What you heard is not what I said and you are listening with your Brummie ear and not being able to distinguish my Northants dialect". She repeated it and again it sounded very much like either Should-ov so easily mistaken for Should-of. She asked me to say 'Should've' and said to her that came out as 'Should-uvv'. In the end we agreed we would try to avoid the short form which is not easy when it was something picked up from childhood and pronounced as heard.An all too common mistake, especially in spoken English. The short version of would have is would've not would of.
Likewise would have and could have?In the end we agreed we would try to avoid the short form which is not easy when it was something picked up from childhood and pronounced as heard.