canadianbeth
LostCousins Star
I am trying to figure out where Eliza Cross fits into my 2nd great-grandparents' family. In the 1861 census she is listed as mother-in-law, but in the 1871 and 1881 census, she is listed as mother. My great grandfather was William Walker Bowyer and his wife was Elizabeth Jones. William W.'s baptismal record lists his parents as William and Elizabeth Bowyer. Elizabeth Jones' baptismal record lists her parents as Isaac and Eliza Jones.
I have no little green leaves beside either Isaac's or Eliza's names and just looking for them on Ancestry was no help as to dates of birth or death. William W.'s father apparently died in 1873 so Eliza Cross, having been in the 1861 census, is probably not his mother. Obviously, two different people filled out the 1861 and 1871 census. Should I assume that Isaac died before 1861 and Eliza re-married, only to have her second husband also die before then? I looked for marriages for Eliza Jones but did not find any that fit. I also thought maybe Eliza was a Cross before she married Isaac Jones, but if so, why is she then a Cross in the census?
I have no little green leaves beside either Isaac's or Eliza's names and just looking for them on Ancestry was no help as to dates of birth or death. William W.'s father apparently died in 1873 so Eliza Cross, having been in the 1861 census, is probably not his mother. Obviously, two different people filled out the 1861 and 1871 census. Should I assume that Isaac died before 1861 and Eliza re-married, only to have her second husband also die before then? I looked for marriages for Eliza Jones but did not find any that fit. I also thought maybe Eliza was a Cross before she married Isaac Jones, but if so, why is she then a Cross in the census?