Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I am perplexed to discover after many years of having put to bed information about my grandparents - despite not finding them in the 1901 Census - that I should come across the following 1901 Census transcription which I am 90%+ sure is of them; but there is a mystery I wish now to share.

Facts about my family:
#1 All were born Birmingham and the family name Spiers was often recorded as Spires (which is how it was pronounced and undoubtedly what the Enumerator heard). The address of the Census has them living in Ladypool Road, Balsall Heath a stones throw from the family address I later knew of and to which they moved circa 1917.
#2 My grandfather Henry Francis Spiers (known as Henry or Harry) was born in 1881 and was an Art Metal worker (aka Art Metal Smith).
#3 He had a sister Kate born 1879. She was single in 1901 and married 1904. Before then she lodged with married brothers Henry and also (quite separately) Bertie with whom she later worked.
#4 Henry and his wife (see #5) had their first born (also Henry Francis) in 1901. He was born 17th March (St Patricks day). In the original Census Henry (the son) was shown as 2 weeks old and that ties with the Census taken on 31st March.
#5 Purposely held to last: Henry married Mary Ann Westbury (born 1882) on the 6th January 1901 and (known to family) was pregnant with her first born at that time. So Henry's wife in the Census should have been Mary Ann (or Mary) Spiers/Spires; but isn't.
So who the heck is Phoebe?
I can find no rhyme or reason for my grand mother being recorded as Phoebe which is why I disregarded this Census entry long ago. However with the build up of known facts strongly correlating with the information shown in the Census (apart from Phoebe of course) I am now of the strong opinion it is indeed them.
Add to this the fact I have been unable to find a marriage of a Henry Spiers marrying a Phoebe and HAVE the Marriage Certificate of Henry marrying Mary Ann. I just need to know why Henry would refer to his wife Mary as Phoebe unless some sort of 'inhouse nickname' (which I doubt) or why an Enumerator would record Phoebe unless perhaps under the influence of drink.
Or of course face the fact they are an entirely different family. What do others think?
Facts about my family:
#1 All were born Birmingham and the family name Spiers was often recorded as Spires (which is how it was pronounced and undoubtedly what the Enumerator heard). The address of the Census has them living in Ladypool Road, Balsall Heath a stones throw from the family address I later knew of and to which they moved circa 1917.
#2 My grandfather Henry Francis Spiers (known as Henry or Harry) was born in 1881 and was an Art Metal worker (aka Art Metal Smith).
#3 He had a sister Kate born 1879. She was single in 1901 and married 1904. Before then she lodged with married brothers Henry and also (quite separately) Bertie with whom she later worked.
#4 Henry and his wife (see #5) had their first born (also Henry Francis) in 1901. He was born 17th March (St Patricks day). In the original Census Henry (the son) was shown as 2 weeks old and that ties with the Census taken on 31st March.
#5 Purposely held to last: Henry married Mary Ann Westbury (born 1882) on the 6th January 1901 and (known to family) was pregnant with her first born at that time. So Henry's wife in the Census should have been Mary Ann (or Mary) Spiers/Spires; but isn't.
So who the heck is Phoebe?
I can find no rhyme or reason for my grand mother being recorded as Phoebe which is why I disregarded this Census entry long ago. However with the build up of known facts strongly correlating with the information shown in the Census (apart from Phoebe of course) I am now of the strong opinion it is indeed them.
Add to this the fact I have been unable to find a marriage of a Henry Spiers marrying a Phoebe and HAVE the Marriage Certificate of Henry marrying Mary Ann. I just need to know why Henry would refer to his wife Mary as Phoebe unless some sort of 'inhouse nickname' (which I doubt) or why an Enumerator would record Phoebe unless perhaps under the influence of drink.
Or of course face the fact they are an entirely different family. What do others think?
Last edited:
