jorghes
LostCousins Superstar
I came across a conundrum the other day, and I was wondering if the wonderful members here could give me some ideas about where to look next in terms of records and other resources.
The conundrum involves my great-great-great grandmother, Elizabeth Lowe.
Elizabeth was born in 1861 to James Lowe and Mary Holmes and died in 1950 in Hurst Hill, Staffordshire, where she lived her entire life. She married Enoch Rudge in 1886 and lived with him in Summerhill Rd and for a while she operated a grocery shop out of her front room with the help of her eldest daughter. One of my cousins remembers visiting Elizabeth, her great-grandmother, in Hurst Hill. She had given birth to two illegimate children before her marriage, one in 1880 and the other in 1884. The elder of the two boys lived with her parents until their deaths in the 1890s. I have Elizabeth on every census between 1871 and 1911 and have even found her on the 1939 register (which I didn't think I was going to at the time).
I'd discovered all this information, clarified her death date after finding her on the 1939 census when I thought she'd already died, and put her on the back burner as having discovered all that I could. When I went on my trip back to the mother country last year I was able to see a photo of Elizabeth for the first time.
But recently I decided to write down all the information I had into an ancestral file to help my mother and siblings keep everyone straight. As I was adding information about Elizabeth to the book, I had to look up information about the 1911 census, so I opened it up and read through it again, and hit the conundrum.
The 1911 census lists Elizabeth Rudge (nee Lowe) as having been married 24 years to Enoch (which works with the marriage date of 1886), and having had 12 children in total for the marriage. Of those, 10 are still living and 2 have died.
My response was simple shock - Twelve children? Since when?
And then came the query - so did these 12 children include the two sons she had out of wedlock, or not? None of my research, or any of the census returns, had given Elizabeth 12 children, rather, beyond her two illegitimate sons, I only had Elizabeth having 7 children with her husband Enoch, 6 daughters and a son.
I know that Elizabeth had two children out of wedlock:
⁃ Samuel Leadbetter Lowe, 1880, and
⁃ John Thomas Jones Lowe, 1884 (my great-great grandfather)
The current list of "accepted" children (for her marriage to Enoch), which occurred in 1886, compiled from census data and other information is:
⁃ Mary A, 1888
⁃ Elizabeth, 1888
⁃ Florence, 1890
⁃ Rose Anne, 1892
⁃ Edith, 1896
⁃ Beatrice May, 1901
⁃ Enoch William, 1903
I have physical evidence (photos), documentary evidence (1939 register, censuses etc.) and anecdotal evidence of the following children:
⁃ Elizabeth (documentary, anecdotal)
⁃ Florence (documentary, anecdotal + photos of one of her daughters)
⁃ Rose? (Anecdotal, photo)
⁃ Eliza Jane (documentary, anecdotal, plus gravesite for one of her children, photos)
⁃ Beatrice (photos, documentary)
⁃ Enoch William (photos, documentary)
Checking the GRO indexes for children born of with the surname Rudge and the mother's maiden name of "Lowe" from the wedding date of 1886 onwards gives the following responses: (primarily searching the registry area of Dudley, since Elizabeth lived there all her life)
⁃ Elizabeth 1886 *
⁃ Isabella 1887
⁃ Mary Ann 1888 *
⁃ Florence 1890 *
⁃ Eliza Jane 1891 *
⁃ George Victor 1892
⁃ Joseph James 1893
⁃ Hannah 1894
⁃ Edith 1896 *
⁃ Violet Maud 1897 (with a death register date of 1898)
⁃ Alfred Norman 1898
⁃ Beatrice May 1901 *
⁃ Harold 1901
⁃ Enoch William 1903 *
Seven of the children match those I already know about (adjusting Elizabeth's age, which is fine, since I already thought she was the eldest), Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Florence, Eliza Jane, Edith, Beatrice May, and Enoch William.
Even with her two illegitimate children, Samuel and Jack, this still only brings her total to 9 children, not the 12 given on the 1911 census. And none of these children died in infancy, in fact the majority lived to adulthood, got married etc etc.
Bar purchasing all the birth certs on the GRO for who I think are her children, what are the options for discovering which of that list are Elizabeth's children and which are not? Will I ever get up to the magical 12?
Noting of course that right now I don't think "Rose" is the correct name - as the only GRO entry for a Rose Rudge in 1892 is in Wolverhampton and the mother's maiden name is not give as "Lowe". I have a suspicion that Rose will be a nickname, as I actually have a photo which has been identified as Rose Rudge.
Any ideas from the learned community of genealogists?
The conundrum involves my great-great-great grandmother, Elizabeth Lowe.
Elizabeth was born in 1861 to James Lowe and Mary Holmes and died in 1950 in Hurst Hill, Staffordshire, where she lived her entire life. She married Enoch Rudge in 1886 and lived with him in Summerhill Rd and for a while she operated a grocery shop out of her front room with the help of her eldest daughter. One of my cousins remembers visiting Elizabeth, her great-grandmother, in Hurst Hill. She had given birth to two illegimate children before her marriage, one in 1880 and the other in 1884. The elder of the two boys lived with her parents until their deaths in the 1890s. I have Elizabeth on every census between 1871 and 1911 and have even found her on the 1939 register (which I didn't think I was going to at the time).
I'd discovered all this information, clarified her death date after finding her on the 1939 census when I thought she'd already died, and put her on the back burner as having discovered all that I could. When I went on my trip back to the mother country last year I was able to see a photo of Elizabeth for the first time.
But recently I decided to write down all the information I had into an ancestral file to help my mother and siblings keep everyone straight. As I was adding information about Elizabeth to the book, I had to look up information about the 1911 census, so I opened it up and read through it again, and hit the conundrum.
The 1911 census lists Elizabeth Rudge (nee Lowe) as having been married 24 years to Enoch (which works with the marriage date of 1886), and having had 12 children in total for the marriage. Of those, 10 are still living and 2 have died.
My response was simple shock - Twelve children? Since when?
And then came the query - so did these 12 children include the two sons she had out of wedlock, or not? None of my research, or any of the census returns, had given Elizabeth 12 children, rather, beyond her two illegitimate sons, I only had Elizabeth having 7 children with her husband Enoch, 6 daughters and a son.
I know that Elizabeth had two children out of wedlock:
⁃ Samuel Leadbetter Lowe, 1880, and
⁃ John Thomas Jones Lowe, 1884 (my great-great grandfather)
The current list of "accepted" children (for her marriage to Enoch), which occurred in 1886, compiled from census data and other information is:
⁃ Mary A, 1888
⁃ Elizabeth, 1888
⁃ Florence, 1890
⁃ Rose Anne, 1892
⁃ Edith, 1896
⁃ Beatrice May, 1901
⁃ Enoch William, 1903
I have physical evidence (photos), documentary evidence (1939 register, censuses etc.) and anecdotal evidence of the following children:
⁃ Elizabeth (documentary, anecdotal)
⁃ Florence (documentary, anecdotal + photos of one of her daughters)
⁃ Rose? (Anecdotal, photo)
⁃ Eliza Jane (documentary, anecdotal, plus gravesite for one of her children, photos)
⁃ Beatrice (photos, documentary)
⁃ Enoch William (photos, documentary)
Checking the GRO indexes for children born of with the surname Rudge and the mother's maiden name of "Lowe" from the wedding date of 1886 onwards gives the following responses: (primarily searching the registry area of Dudley, since Elizabeth lived there all her life)
⁃ Elizabeth 1886 *
⁃ Isabella 1887
⁃ Mary Ann 1888 *
⁃ Florence 1890 *
⁃ Eliza Jane 1891 *
⁃ George Victor 1892
⁃ Joseph James 1893
⁃ Hannah 1894
⁃ Edith 1896 *
⁃ Violet Maud 1897 (with a death register date of 1898)
⁃ Alfred Norman 1898
⁃ Beatrice May 1901 *
⁃ Harold 1901
⁃ Enoch William 1903 *
Seven of the children match those I already know about (adjusting Elizabeth's age, which is fine, since I already thought she was the eldest), Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Florence, Eliza Jane, Edith, Beatrice May, and Enoch William.
Even with her two illegitimate children, Samuel and Jack, this still only brings her total to 9 children, not the 12 given on the 1911 census. And none of these children died in infancy, in fact the majority lived to adulthood, got married etc etc.
Bar purchasing all the birth certs on the GRO for who I think are her children, what are the options for discovering which of that list are Elizabeth's children and which are not? Will I ever get up to the magical 12?
Noting of course that right now I don't think "Rose" is the correct name - as the only GRO entry for a Rose Rudge in 1892 is in Wolverhampton and the mother's maiden name is not give as "Lowe". I have a suspicion that Rose will be a nickname, as I actually have a photo which has been identified as Rose Rudge.
Any ideas from the learned community of genealogists?