Susan
LostCousins Member
I come from a long line of hoarders, and when I started researching my family history my mother passed on to me several items she had from her mother, which include some items that came from my great grandmother. One is a will. At least I was always told it was a will, so I grew up thinking it must be a will. But it isn't.
A bit of background.
In the mid 1800s three brothers, John, Bryan and Benjamin, set up a business. Benjamin, the youngest brother died first in 1889 and his entry in the probate calendar states "administration to..." so he did not make a will. The next to die was the eldest brother John in 1893. His probate entry states "probate to..." so he left a will. The middle brother Bryan died in 1895, but there is no entry in the probate calendar. But I have his will.
I decided it was time I reread this will.
Dated 5 February 1895, the handwritten document reads
"I, Bryan.... of.... do hereby make a free gift at my death of my share or interest in...... to my son Alfred..... when any just debts are paid. My share or interest consists of one half of the tools and one half of the good will of the business."
The words free gift are underlined, and his signature was witnessed by two men who both signed.
This 'will' is in an envelope on which was written
Alfred......
From his Father
Bryan.....
Bryan died on 17 March 1895.
Alfred was one of two sons, the only son to follow his father into the business, and he was my great grandmother's second husband.
Was this 'free gift' intended as a way to get round paying probate fees?
A bit of background.
In the mid 1800s three brothers, John, Bryan and Benjamin, set up a business. Benjamin, the youngest brother died first in 1889 and his entry in the probate calendar states "administration to..." so he did not make a will. The next to die was the eldest brother John in 1893. His probate entry states "probate to..." so he left a will. The middle brother Bryan died in 1895, but there is no entry in the probate calendar. But I have his will.
I decided it was time I reread this will.
Dated 5 February 1895, the handwritten document reads
"I, Bryan.... of.... do hereby make a free gift at my death of my share or interest in...... to my son Alfred..... when any just debts are paid. My share or interest consists of one half of the tools and one half of the good will of the business."
The words free gift are underlined, and his signature was witnessed by two men who both signed.
This 'will' is in an envelope on which was written
Alfred......
From his Father
Bryan.....
Bryan died on 17 March 1895.
Alfred was one of two sons, the only son to follow his father into the business, and he was my great grandmother's second husband.
Was this 'free gift' intended as a way to get round paying probate fees?