Pauline
LostCousins Megastar
Yesterday I was following up research I'd done many years ago into one of the more distant twigs on my tree, to see if I could chase up some more census entries to enter on my 'My Ancestors' page, and in doing so discovered an unexpected error.
There was a son Michael that I (and others) had identified from an 1823 baptism, but had been unable to find anything further about - no death or burial, no marriage and no obvious appearance in any census.
The parish register in question has recently been digitised at Ancestry so I decided to take another look and noticed two things. Firstly, when entering baptism details into the register, the minister had not added "son of" or "daughter of" after any of the children's names.
Secondly, when I significantly enlarged the page image (something that wasn't possible when I'd viewed the entry on film), it became clear that what appeared to be a slight smudge towards the end of the name Michael, was actually a deliberate crossing out of the letter 'e'.
So the child was not Michael but Michal, and Michal is a girl's name! And having got that straight, I was at last able to identify her in various censuses and find her marriage.

There was a son Michael that I (and others) had identified from an 1823 baptism, but had been unable to find anything further about - no death or burial, no marriage and no obvious appearance in any census.
The parish register in question has recently been digitised at Ancestry so I decided to take another look and noticed two things. Firstly, when entering baptism details into the register, the minister had not added "son of" or "daughter of" after any of the children's names.
Secondly, when I significantly enlarged the page image (something that wasn't possible when I'd viewed the entry on film), it became clear that what appeared to be a slight smudge towards the end of the name Michael, was actually a deliberate crossing out of the letter 'e'.
So the child was not Michael but Michal, and Michal is a girl's name! And having got that straight, I was at last able to identify her in various censuses and find her marriage.
