• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

What's in a (Sur) name

I'd guess Kerenheppuch
(I've not checked the spelling, but they were the 3 named daughters of Job)

[And I *think* the modern day Karen is a Scandinavian version of Katherine]
 
Your mission is to find the name of a third daughter? A large family mid 1800's included 3 daughters: Jemima (lovely name and would not be out of place today), Kezia (sometimes spelled Kesia) and no less nice sounding. But their third daughter -who I have no reason to doubt was equally as charming, except she was saddled with a name that was far from lovely. So what name was she given?

The only clue is all 3 sisters were given names that followed a theme. I would also mention that the given name was in time broken down to form the basis of a modern name which would then qualify as lovely. What was the modern name?

I have this family in my Tree and I truly thought I had come across an enormous name mis-corruption. It was only when I further investigated I found out the name was correct and understood why it had been bestowed.

The message will self destruct in 10 minutes.:D

Hmmmm, sorry I was on another important Job :)

In the family I've narrowed it down to, she was the 4th daughter

If you want to see what I found, just highlight the space between the 2 brackets, i.e. left click and hold it down as you drag the cursor down to the 2nd bracket.
[
CARTWRIGHT, Jeremiah
CARTWRIGHT, Ann
CARTWRIGHT, Edward
CARTWRIGHT, Zachariah
CARTWRIGHT, Henry
CARTWRIGHT, Sarah Ann
CARTWRIGHT, Mary Ann
CARTWRIGHT, Jemima
CARTWRIGHT, Kerenhappuch
CARTWRIGHT, Kezia
CARTWRIGHT, Emma
]
 
I'd guess Kerenheppuch
(I've not checked the spelling, but they were the 3 named daughters of Job)

[And I *think* the modern day Karen is a Scandinavian version of Katherine]

You are right -Kerenhappuch (or hyphenated Keren-happuch). At the time I did my initial investigation I recall reading words to the effect"....with the hyphenation becoming common place it is believed to have led to the derivation of the modern day Karen....". But as I'm no authority on derivations will take a rain check (or is it cheque) on that.

Incidentally with his 3 daughters "and in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job (Job 4:15)" he broke all traditions of the time by granting his 3 daughters 'inheritance rights amount their brethren' (on a par with their brothers, an unheard of thing at that time). Quite a few Women Emancipation groups have latched onto that phrase including the American 'Jobs Daughters' organisation (probably now defunct)
 
Hmmmm, sorry I was on another important Job :)

More likely lying down on the Job!:p

Yes I guess there were a fair few families who named their daughters after the daughters of Job. I just felt sorry for the one who was named Kerenhappuch.

Job did have more than 3 daughters (names unknown)but he lost them, so God gave him 3 more..... Don't ask!
 
If you think Kerenhappuch leads the field for Biblical (or even unusual) based names, here are a few more contained in my own Tree and the one I research and manage for my wife. Surprisingly considering the Jewish influences in the names, neither of us is Jewish, or for that matter over concerned with religion of any persuasion. The name in capitals are those found in the Trees and all hail from the 19th Century.

ZIPPORAH (daughter of Reuel -aka Jethro) a Midianite Priest or Prince. Gave his daughter in Marriage to Moses (incidentally but not in my Tree Zipporah bore Moses two sons, Gershom & Eliezer)

BEZALEEL (or Bezalel) Son or Uri and grandson of Hur. Major player in Jewish History and concerned with the Ark of the Tabernacle.

RHESA Son of Zorobabel -the name means affection and is found in Luke 3.27

TRYPHENA One of twin sisters - the other was Tryphosa. Mentioned by St Paul (16:12)

Finally a break from Biblical and all of Italian origin and in the same family group:
CELESTINA: CELESTINO; GRAZIA, NEDDA & SERGIO

That will suffice for now, but I will be back in due course to record some unusual surnames and their many Census corruptions. I may even have the record for the most corrupted surname, but no doubt others will challenge on that front. I will be back! (now who said that?)
 
Hmmmm, sorry I was on another important Job :)



If you want to see what I found, just highlight the space between the 2 brackets, i.e. left click and hold it down as you drag the cursor down to the 2nd bracket.
[
CARTWRIGHT, Jeremiah
CARTWRIGHT, Ann
CARTWRIGHT, Edward
CARTWRIGHT, Zachariah
CARTWRIGHT, Henry
CARTWRIGHT, Sarah Ann
CARTWRIGHT, Mary Ann
CARTWRIGHT, Jemima
CARTWRIGHT, Kerenhappuch
CARTWRIGHT, Kezia
CARTWRIGHT, Emma
]
How did you do that? I mean make text appear like that, magic !!!
 
Here then as promised are examples in my Tree of surname corruptions and the 3 that gave me the most trouble

FENNELOW
A Great x 2 Grandmother early widowed remarried a Fennellow. Here are some of the names I found when seeking him (and his family) prior to marriage, and both as a married couple.

Finnellon:Finnellow:Finellow:Finelow:Fendelow:Fineltone:Fineltore:Findlow:Fennely

I accept Fennellow is a quite unusual surname but what about my next candidate.

CUNNINGTON
A Great Uncle named CUNNINGTON. You would have thought that surname quite reasonable to find, but oh no. Here are some of the variations found:

Cunningham:Connington:Cannington:Cammington:Carrington:Cummington
Followed by two without the ‘ton’
Cumming:Cunning
And my favourite
Cunnioton

All I can say is thank god for wild card searching. Once I locked on to searching as C*ing* most came to light. However Cunnioton gave me quite a run for my money and I passed up on Cumming & Cunning many times before finally taking a peek and finding the family.

TWAMLEY
Twamley was the maiden name of my cousin’s mother. Although there were fewer corruptions, the trouble they caused when searching was every bit as problematic as those above.

Twamlow ( this occurred so many times that a small part of the family actually adopted this variation surname, and their descendants are so named today):
Twamlon:Twembly:Twonby
And to beat all
Suamaton (Don’t ask but the original handwriting truly did look like Suamaton and I only discovered them by accident when researching a relative lodging with them)

I wouldn’t mind but down the line a Twamley married a Twycross and the strange thing was the Twycross name was never corrupted unlike its ‘Tw’ counterpart which was never recorded the same twice.

Well that’s it. I’ve given up claiming any record for name corruptions but simply record them as prime examples of what I call (and have written about elsewhere) ‘Chinese Whispers’. Where people who cannot themselves write pronounce their surnames and a scribe of sorts writes what he thinks he heard. And of course in the transcription of poor handwriting.
 
Ok, my first test.

I've noticed that when Ancestry searches for you, it adds the married name to the back of a maiden name with a space between them.

So I created a person with a surname of Bisset Spiers, and sure enough, I got results for both surnames.

So the Theory is this, if you entered the variations as surnames such as Spiers Spires Spiars Speirs into the surname box, any children would inherit the surnames as you added them. I think I would put the most common one or the one used today as the first entry.


This is how FTA searches Ancestry for census records by passing a surname of both the Married and Maiden name to find either.
 
More likely lying down on the Job!:p

Yes I guess there were a fair few families who named their daughters after the daughters of Job. I just felt sorry for the one who was named Kerenhappuch.

Job did have more than 3 daughters (names unknown)but he lost them, so God gave him 3 more..... Don't ask!


Abu El Banat!!
 
I think this term (father of daughters) is usually only used if there is an absence of sons (as was not the case with Job - after his trials were over, at any rate)

Correct: Job also had 7 sons and whilst counting, 14,000 sheep,6,000 camels,1,000 yoke of oxen and a 1,000 donkeys -and he lived to be 140.
 
Back
Top