canadianbeth
LostCousins Star
Ok, I just want to confirm that downloading my results does not delete them because that is listed right underneath the part about downloading.
And boy is that an understatement
I never thought I would see in this Forum a recommendation to use MyHeritage (MH), even hiding under their new 'DNA' label... and by Peter no less. I noted elsewhere he mentioned they had improved their 'privacy settings' since the advent of the GDPR regs. Well I certainly hope so since it was not that long ago since they were held responsible for a security leak of 92 million (yes million) user accounts. If their DNA venture is run on anything like the lines of their MH main database site, then some people are going to be greatly disappointed.
Deleting your results is a completely separate option - no need to worry.Ok, I just want to confirm that downloading my results does not delete them because that is listed right underneath the part about downloading.
Yes I can understand why you would use consider MH in this instance and agree with your other comments, particularly about YahooAs I'm 6% German - and Ancestry don't sell their DNA test in Germany - uploading my results to MyHeritage offers the potential to find out more about my German ancestry. No great discoveries so far, but it's early days.
Bear in mind that your GEDmatch tree will be completely public - it won't just be available to your genetic cousins. There is no need to upload a tree - most people don't - and little or no benefit if you do, which is why I deleted my tree.I uploaded the DNA to GEDMatch and am trying to also upload my tree
Moving forward a few years, and after positive references following their implementation of new security and privacy controls I ventured back for the DNA upload. The functionality was attractive because I wanted to see matches and shared matches that weren't available on Ancestry; and I thought it was useful to see the county of residence of my matches. I have found useful information.
Ancestry have now added the feature of being able to see where your DNA matches live.
Ancestry have now added the feature of being able to see where your DNA matches live.
It depends on how you plan to use the information. For me knowing that one of my cousins lives close to a records office that I can't get to very easily will be useful; in other cases it will be nice to know that one of my genetic cousins lives just down the road.But how helpful is it? I live hundreds of miles from where my ancestors lived.
But how helpful is it? I live hundreds of miles from where my ancestors lived.
I’ve put where I was born rather than where I live. It seemed more relevant.
Put down the place you think will be most helpful to other people. Alternatively leave it blank.My place of current residence is much more pertinent.
Quite fascinating jorghes, indeed if you could go on to say your children (sorry if presumptuous or irrelevant) were also born on a yet different continent (still one or two remaining) and a different country to the birthplace of any of their ancestors, I am sure that would qualify for the Guinness Book of Records. But even as given pretty unique by any standard.My place of birth would be both useless and confusing for any research matches looking for me; particularly since my parents were born on two different continents in two different countries, and I just happened to born on a different continent and in a different country to both of them, and a country which has nothing to do with my ancestry.
Quite fascinating jorghes, indeed if you could go on to say your children (sorry if presumptuous or irrelevant) were also born on a yet different continent (still one or two remaining) and a different country to the birthplace of any of their ancestors, I am sure that would qualify for the Guinness Book of Records. But even as given pretty unique by any standard.![]()
There will be differences between Ancestry and other sites - as I mentioned recently Ancestry downgrade certain segments as part of their Timber algorithm. As you've not yet found the relationship it's unlikely that you're 3rd cousins.I've just uploaded my Ancestry DNA to MyHeritage. I've identified one person common to both and the different results are interesting. Ancestry, shared DNA 32cM in 4 segments, 4-6 cousin. MyHeritage 47.8cM in 4 segments, longest segment 18.6cM, 3-5 cousin. I haven't found the relationship yet, which is a shame.
That is an good link with an interesting discussion. I’m amazed at how people get so angry about having their cousins downgraded. I’m glad that for me that it’s more of an interesting hobby than a crusade.Ancestry downgrade certain segments as part of their Timber algorithm..