LindaC
LostCousins Star
I suppose I've always been very interested in family stories. Once when I was still in my early twenties, sitting around the kitchen table, I made a family tree using all the information my mother could remember. She even gave me information about my father's family (he had already died when I was 20 years old). This family tree was very informal and rough and contained many indiscreet comments on various relatives.
In about 1981, my sister and I quickly exhausted our paternal aunts' patience with our questions about Dad's family. They did not even seem to know their maternal grandmother's maiden name. Perhaps it was an unusual family because my father's Dad, Thomas Hiorns Combe was a Protestant who was born in Brockhampton, Gloucestershire and my father's Mum, Emily Walsh was a Roman Catholic of almost certainly Irish background, born in Bathurst, NSW. As my sister and I found more and more records we discovered that Thomas and Emily had been married in a side room of the Roman Catholic Cathedral, St Michael and All Saints, in Bathurst, NSW, Australia in September 1901. The priest had written "pater non Catholic" and I understand that Tom Combe had to promise to bring their children up as Catholics.
Then there was the unusual middle name "Hiorns" which Aunt K could only say was a "family name". It was frustrating being denied information by living relatives so my sister and I started using the resources of the NSW State Archives and the Society of Australian Genealogists. We became adept at microfilm and microfiche reading. We wrote letters to Historical Societies and travelled to Bathurst and other country towns to see what we could find in cemeteries and Court Houses. ( When we said to Aunt K " Your grandmother's name was Hogan before she was Walsh" she said, " I knew that". But why the secrecy?? Eventually, we discovered a scandal about my great great grandfather Matthew Walsh senior who ran off with the barmaid while his first wife was dying of cancer and fathered another ten children. With no help from our aunts!
Fast forward to the age of the internet and Ancestry and findmypast and of course Lost Cousins, not to mention Genes Reunited which was very helpful in the early days of online resources, and I have a vast knowledge of my family, maternal and paternal. It has been so fascinating I can't stop myself from doing the research, even though I've nearly exhausted my own puzzles, I volunteer at a local library on their Family History Help desk a few times every month helping other people knock down their brick walls.
Thank you, Peter, for the opportunity to rattle on about my introduction to Family History. I hope it strikes a chord with other members of this forum.
In about 1981, my sister and I quickly exhausted our paternal aunts' patience with our questions about Dad's family. They did not even seem to know their maternal grandmother's maiden name. Perhaps it was an unusual family because my father's Dad, Thomas Hiorns Combe was a Protestant who was born in Brockhampton, Gloucestershire and my father's Mum, Emily Walsh was a Roman Catholic of almost certainly Irish background, born in Bathurst, NSW. As my sister and I found more and more records we discovered that Thomas and Emily had been married in a side room of the Roman Catholic Cathedral, St Michael and All Saints, in Bathurst, NSW, Australia in September 1901. The priest had written "pater non Catholic" and I understand that Tom Combe had to promise to bring their children up as Catholics.
Then there was the unusual middle name "Hiorns" which Aunt K could only say was a "family name". It was frustrating being denied information by living relatives so my sister and I started using the resources of the NSW State Archives and the Society of Australian Genealogists. We became adept at microfilm and microfiche reading. We wrote letters to Historical Societies and travelled to Bathurst and other country towns to see what we could find in cemeteries and Court Houses. ( When we said to Aunt K " Your grandmother's name was Hogan before she was Walsh" she said, " I knew that". But why the secrecy?? Eventually, we discovered a scandal about my great great grandfather Matthew Walsh senior who ran off with the barmaid while his first wife was dying of cancer and fathered another ten children. With no help from our aunts!
Fast forward to the age of the internet and Ancestry and findmypast and of course Lost Cousins, not to mention Genes Reunited which was very helpful in the early days of online resources, and I have a vast knowledge of my family, maternal and paternal. It has been so fascinating I can't stop myself from doing the research, even though I've nearly exhausted my own puzzles, I volunteer at a local library on their Family History Help desk a few times every month helping other people knock down their brick walls.
Thank you, Peter, for the opportunity to rattle on about my introduction to Family History. I hope it strikes a chord with other members of this forum.