The story starts with a red exclamation mark next to an ancestor on the Lost Cousins site. I was quite excited because I was thinking I was getting close to a match with someone.
So I checked Ancestry to make sure I'd added the data correctly, and it looked good. A match with the data at Lost Cousins.

So I thought I'd take advantage of Peter's little arrow (click here to check against census), and pressed it.
Nothing, no results found, So started removing each number one by one to see if I could find something. Eventually I got a match.

So a bit weird. But I just thought, ok, maybe the other person has used FMP and I used Ancestry.
So I changed one of the family to 13 and searched. But no matches. It must have been a ghost!
In this scenario Peter, would you expect the system to use the ! ? I don't know if there are many entries which are different between Ancestry and FMP.
I've submitted a correction so hopefully this one will be fixed. And this batch of records that needed checking have gone.
So I checked Ancestry to make sure I'd added the data correctly, and it looked good. A match with the data at Lost Cousins.

So I thought I'd take advantage of Peter's little arrow (click here to check against census), and pressed it.
Nothing, no results found, So started removing each number one by one to see if I could find something. Eventually I got a match.
So a bit weird. But I just thought, ok, maybe the other person has used FMP and I used Ancestry.
So I changed one of the family to 13 and searched. But no matches. It must have been a ghost!
In this scenario Peter, would you expect the system to use the ! ? I don't know if there are many entries which are different between Ancestry and FMP.
I've submitted a correction so hopefully this one will be fixed. And this batch of records that needed checking have gone.