Prairie Girl
LostCousins Member
I grew up with a story that my great-grandfather was the first of our name born in Canada, and all the people of my surname in Canada are descended from him and his wife. They raised 16 kids, and I knew I had herds of cousins, so it was an easy story to believe. According to the family legend, outside of a few vague, shadowy Scots ancestors, we were the only ones in the world! We didn't live near any of my cousins when I was growing up, and Dad never talked much about them, so I really had no idea where we fit in the "grand scheme." When I was about 15, it occurred to me that I might be able to figure it out, so I started asking questions. I didn't get many answers then, so the project got shelved for a few years.
Eventually, when my husband and I were posted to Ontario, in the early 1990s, I realized that I might never again be so close to where my grandfather was born. And I was off. I have that family line back pretty well to the beginning of public record-keeping in their part of Scotland, my father's mother's folks to when they came to the United States in the mid-17th century and my mother's parents as far as I can find Eastern European records for. So, now, I'm working on my husband's parents' lines, because I can.
As for the "we are the only ones in the whole wide world and we were the first ones here story," I have since discovered that it was pretty much all hokum. A girl with our name was born in Canada at least 4 years before my great-grandfather -- a girl from a line that is not connected to ours within the last 350 years (as far as I have found records). Even at the time I was hearing the story, there were at least three other branches of the name here, only one of which was connected to us. And, more entertainingly, in my 25-year search I met people of our name from all over the world who had grown up with the same "except for the Scots ancestors, we are the only ones" story -- and some of them were Scots!
Eventually, when my husband and I were posted to Ontario, in the early 1990s, I realized that I might never again be so close to where my grandfather was born. And I was off. I have that family line back pretty well to the beginning of public record-keeping in their part of Scotland, my father's mother's folks to when they came to the United States in the mid-17th century and my mother's parents as far as I can find Eastern European records for. So, now, I'm working on my husband's parents' lines, because I can.
As for the "we are the only ones in the whole wide world and we were the first ones here story," I have since discovered that it was pretty much all hokum. A girl with our name was born in Canada at least 4 years before my great-grandfather -- a girl from a line that is not connected to ours within the last 350 years (as far as I have found records). Even at the time I was hearing the story, there were at least three other branches of the name here, only one of which was connected to us. And, more entertainingly, in my 25-year search I met people of our name from all over the world who had grown up with the same "except for the Scots ancestors, we are the only ones" story -- and some of them were Scots!