Has she read the Getting Started guide yet? It's really important for me to know if it isn't adequate, because right now that's the document that I refer all new members to.
All I know is that Caz (who may not be a good yardstick for judging such things) finds
text daunting. She said she had read the Getting Started guide but I do not think she latched onto the Ancestry element with which she would be most comfortable. So having checked out things for myself to refresh memory I suggested she try the Getting started with Ancestry. When she eventually did this she recognised familiar Ancestry Census pages and I explained how it was a matter of extracting detail and adding into LC via the My Ancestors element. I've already mentioned about doing a Print Screen and taking her through the elements in a 1,2,3, fashion which she said she understood.
I think from what she later told me she ignored the 1881 Census (about which I have already commented)and of course got nowhere fast with either 1891 or 1901. At this point she gave up and convinced herself she was to dense to comprehend what she needed to do. Eventually I think she realised entries were restricted to 1881,1911 & 1841 which is when she emailed me to check if this was in fact the case. As I have already indicated I told her to concentrate on 1881 and that is roughly the last input I had with her on the subject of entering into LC.
Perhaps Team Viewer (if I can get it off the ground her end) will get Caz going but I appreciate it does not fully answer your concern about 'Getting Started' for all newcomers. For my contribution I would just say some emphasis on starting with 1881 and selecting the search provider with whom they are most comfortable, or if none at all perhaps Family Search. Leave the choice of 1911 & 1841 for later and
rule out the in between Censuses. Otherwise I can see you have provided a wealth of information for all comers and I doubt few could do better.
Perhaps it might be best to invite comments and suggestions from others in the Forum as just to rely on the problems encountered by one person does not -like one Swallow - make a Summer.