• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Vale Peter

jorghes

LostCousins Superstar
I just read the email with the news about Peter.

I wanted to put down my respect for him in creating the site and the help I personally had from him, both through the forum and through emails.

In the world of genealogy, he will be missed.
 
So sad to hear the news of Peter's passing. So many of us have benefitted from his tirelsss work and innovations on this site and his newsletters.

He has been a great inspiration to many and he certainly made a difference to the world of family history.

Despite his workload, Peter always took the time to personally reply to my emails. I valued his opinions and made good use of his masterclasses - especially on Findmypast.

He will be missed, but remembered with admiration.
 
So sad to receive Sian's message this morning to say that Peter passed away on the 19th January. I'm sure we will all support her to keep this incredible legacy of Peter's Lost Cousins going in the future. We shall all miss him
 
So sad to read the news of Peter this morning. That was a brave thing for Siăn to do. Thoughts and prayers go out to her and the family.
 
Just to echo the sentiments of others at the news of Peter's passing and to record appreciation for all that he has done. I found Lost Cousins only fairly recently but it became clear very quickly what an amazing, energetic, knowledgeable and all round amazing person Peter was. Condolences to Siăn and his family/close friends.
 
Thank you, Peter, for your wisdom, encouragement & enthusiasm - you leave a great legacy.
Best wishes to Sian at this difficult time.
 
So very sad to hear of Peter's passing. Sending condolences to Sian and all his family.
He has left a tremendous legacy in Lost Cousins and he will be very much missed.
 
Such sad news. Sending condolences to Sian and all who knew Peter.
He will be greatly missed in the Lost Cousins community around the world.
 
I can only echo the sentiments above. Thanks to Peter's wonderful DNA masterclass I managed to break down a huge brick wall. He will be sorely missed and remembered with great fondness.
 
I was devastated to read the very sad news of Peter's passing this morning. I feel as if I've lost an old friend. Heart felt condolences to Siân and family.
 
My best wishes and condolences to Siân on this sad occasion. I feel bereft; I have lost a friend.
Peter will be greatly missed by all the Lost Cousins community.
 
I was so sorry to hear such sad news about Peter. He was one in a million.
Heart felt condolences to Siân and family. We will miss Peter's newsletters and tips along with all his help and advice.
Long live Lost Cousins.
 
Such a shock to hear the news that Peter has passed away. I bumped into him and Sian at the Secret & Lies conference in Sep 2025. He was so lovely and gave me a pot of his homemade jam for being a member of LostCousins. His newsletter was a must to read as it was so informative of the latest news from genealogy and his masterclasses were phenomenal. He will be sadly missed but LostCousins will be his legacy. I hope that Sian is able to keep it going.

I'm sad that I somehow missed his last Jan 2026 newsletter and I can't seem to get to it now. The one about his passing is there but not the one before.
 
In honour of Peter, I added a relative today. I've been a member for many years and have benefited so very much from Peter's knowledge and advice. His was the only genealogy newsletter that I faithfully read every time it arrived in my Inbox. We will all miss him more than we can express. Let's all respect his wishes and continue to add our relatives and keep his wonderful Lost Cousins going. Condolences to Siân and his family.
 
I am so sorry to hear about Peter.

This last year a cloud of unenthusiasm descended on my decades-long obsession with rellies-sleuthing, but Peter's mention of Project 1881 in the 19th December Newsletter got me busy again, revisiting my data and chasing down potential 1881-ers. I made a "Project 1881" flag which toggles between "Y" and "N" depending on whether the individual has been added to the Lost Cousins database. The necessary checking and validating has confirmed many relationships and introduced new ones.

Sian's brave, eloquent email came as a horrible shock. My heart goes out to her and I wish her well in the difficult months ahead.
 
I echo everything above and my thoughts are with Sian at this incredibly sad time. I didn’t know Peter personally but it’s almost as though I did through his newsletters, even to the extent on my frequent journeys down the M11 I always thought about him when passing Stansted. Fly high Peter.
 
I am so sad about Peter and was already missing him before Siăn's news arrived. He has helped me a lot, not only through the extremely informative newsletters, the cousins I have found through the LC site, the talks he arranged, and help from this forum, but also with personal advice via messages and emails we exchanged. Like others, I feel I have lost a friend. My condolences to Siăn, to all his family, and to all of his friends. I will, of course, continue to support Lost Cousins.
 
My love goes to Sian.
Peter held the light in my genealogical tunnel. I so appreciated and valued all he did. I had the pleasure to go to Portugal twice with him. I remember him taking me to the local supermarket there to stock up.
He always went beyond his duty. He answered my questions and listened. I will miss Peter very much.
I will keep his memory alive.
Elizabeth
 
Back
Top