SuzanneD
LostCousins Star
There is some useful information on another thread about using maps to support research.
Google Maps (an online map service) and Google Earth (requires a software download) are also helpful for recording some aspects of your research, and sharing the results with others.
For example, I have created some maps which have a pin showing every address I have for a particular family line, and I have colour-coded them by time period so I can see how the family moved and spread over time. I have another map which has all the known homes of my direct ancestors on it (with end-of-line or brick wall ancestors coded a different colour from the rest). I can print out parts of it if I am visiting an area - for example, when I knew I would have a couple of days free in London, I used my map in conjunction with Google Streetview to see whether the original houses might still be standing, and then printed out some maps showing the addresses I wanted to go to. It is also helpful as a quick reference when I see that new records have become available online, to check whether I have family in that county or area.
Both Google Maps and Google Earth have similar features, but Google Earth is the more powerful of the two - you can, for example, put together a series of places into a fly-over 'tour' (tutorial). You save your own maps as a file on your computer. It is, however, harder to share your maps with others as they have to have Google Earth installed.
It is reasonably straightforward to build your own maps online on Google Maps, and share them with anyone by emailing them a link - although you do need to create an account and sign in to create and save a map. Google have a tutorial section on this, and I'll add my own method below for those are happy with the basics in plain step-by-step form!
Google Maps (an online map service) and Google Earth (requires a software download) are also helpful for recording some aspects of your research, and sharing the results with others.
For example, I have created some maps which have a pin showing every address I have for a particular family line, and I have colour-coded them by time period so I can see how the family moved and spread over time. I have another map which has all the known homes of my direct ancestors on it (with end-of-line or brick wall ancestors coded a different colour from the rest). I can print out parts of it if I am visiting an area - for example, when I knew I would have a couple of days free in London, I used my map in conjunction with Google Streetview to see whether the original houses might still be standing, and then printed out some maps showing the addresses I wanted to go to. It is also helpful as a quick reference when I see that new records have become available online, to check whether I have family in that county or area.
Both Google Maps and Google Earth have similar features, but Google Earth is the more powerful of the two - you can, for example, put together a series of places into a fly-over 'tour' (tutorial). You save your own maps as a file on your computer. It is, however, harder to share your maps with others as they have to have Google Earth installed.
It is reasonably straightforward to build your own maps online on Google Maps, and share them with anyone by emailing them a link - although you do need to create an account and sign in to create and save a map. Google have a tutorial section on this, and I'll add my own method below for those are happy with the basics in plain step-by-step form!