• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Useful resource

Within the Dorset OPC you can also find links to a number of sites for individual villages too. Definitely recommended!

I would also like to put in a word for the staff at the Dorset History Centre - an obvious resource, but I found the staff so helpful on my last visit there.
 
Within the Dorset OPC you can also find links to a number of sites for individual villages too. Definitely recommended!

I would also like to put in a word for the staff at the Dorset History Centre - an obvious resource, but I found the staff so helpful on my last visit there.

Dorset History Centre staff are also very helpful via email.
 
findmypast has transcriptions of many Dorset parish registers of baptisms, marriages and burials (courtesy of the Dorset Family History Society). The actual registers are on Ancestry but different transcriptions are a great finding aid.
 
I note that the Ancestry database and images set Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 was updated on 13 March 2013. I wonder if this means they have sorted out some of the mistakes as numbers of register pages had been labelled with the wrong parish. eg some Haydon registers were filed under Whitechurch Canonicorum
No this one at least has not been corrected. :rolleyes: I reported this one to Ancestry in mid January 2013.
Note many of the images have the parish reference under or beside the image but where this is missing, you need to check the Dorset OPC or findmypast transcriptions (or even the British Vital Records Index transcriptions from the LDS which are now part of the Ancestry parish transcriptions) to ensure you have the right parish.
 
Back