• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

US 1940 census

BarbaraL

Member
Hello all, and Happy New Year
This is the first time I have tried to enter some cousins from the US 1940 census and I need some help. I have the entry, and I can find the Enumeration District (24-1124A) and the sheet (7B) but where is the NARA roll number? Is it 2575, right at the end of the citation? (quoted below). Or is is RG29?
Help!
Barbara

(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KQRD-GDN : 14 March 2018), Peter Donohue in household of Mary Donohue, Assembly District 9, Brooklyn, New York City, Kings, New York, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 24-1124A, sheet 7B, line 67, family 171, Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940, NARA digital publication T627. Records of the Bureau of the Census, 1790 - 2007, RG 29. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2012, roll 2575.
 
The NARA (National Archives and Records Administration) roll number is right at the end of the citation, so 2575 in this case. It is also listed as the 'Affiliate Film Number' in the Document Information panel at the side (underneath the T627 which Lost Cousins instructions say not to enter). I'm by no means an expert, but I have recently entered a couple of cousins from the US 1940 census and I think I got it right. The NARA roll number in my case was 4542. It isn't RG29 as that must be a general code as it is the same on both your and my census records (and mine is in Wisconsin).
 
Always read the notes on the Add Ancestor form as these should include all the information you need (or else will link to the relevant FAQ). For example in this case the notes end with "When FamilySearch refer to 'Affiliate' they mean the NARA".

The notes change according to the census selected - always read them when you switch from one census to another.
 
Thanks Peter. I did read the notes and saw that thing about the Affiliate, but I still wasn't quite sure. Perhaps if it explicitly said it was a four digit number it would be absolutely clear.
 
Thanks Peter. I did read the notes and saw that thing about the Affiliate, but I still wasn't quite sure. Perhaps if it explicitly said it was a four digit number it would be absolutely clear.
Ah, but it isn't always 4 digits.
 
Back
Top