Pauline
LostCousins Megastar
I have been looking at some of my early DOVE ancestors in the parish registers for Buckland Surrey, and am puzzled that a few entries have the prefix 'le' added before the surname.
Between about 1600-1625 the registers are written in Latin, and there are 3 burials and one baptism where the prefix has been used, eg
1605 baptism: Willus filius Cantivi le Dove .....
1614 burial: Cantivus le Dove senex pauper .....
1624 burial: Cantivus le Dove filius Cantivi Dove olim de Buckland ....
I have browsed through the register from its start in 1560 through to about 1640 and these events are the only instances I have seen the prefix 'le' before a surname.
The father's name in English was Cantick Dove and there are other examples written in Latin where his surname is just Dove without the 'le'.
Does anyone have any ideas why the prefix might have been used, please?
Between about 1600-1625 the registers are written in Latin, and there are 3 burials and one baptism where the prefix has been used, eg
1605 baptism: Willus filius Cantivi le Dove .....
1614 burial: Cantivus le Dove senex pauper .....
1624 burial: Cantivus le Dove filius Cantivi Dove olim de Buckland ....
I have browsed through the register from its start in 1560 through to about 1640 and these events are the only instances I have seen the prefix 'le' before a surname.
The father's name in English was Cantick Dove and there are other examples written in Latin where his surname is just Dove without the 'le'.
Does anyone have any ideas why the prefix might have been used, please?