PhilGee
LostCousins Member
I've been following the "Two baptisms" thread, so thought I would ask for suggestions regarding an anomaly in my wife's family
In the family of a direct ancestor there are two children named Prudence Meyrick - 1845-1850 and 1853-1919. Prudence's age drifts and was 5 in 1861 and by 1881 matches 1859Q2 (instead of 1853Q2), reverting to 1856 in 1911. A search of FMP for the name with birth in 1853+/-10 gives 10 results, 9 about the two siblings and 1 a false positive and a similar search using South/Soath returns 3 census and one death. There are also two burial records for Prudence Myrick in 1850. All "place of birth" entries link to Taibach/Margam/Port Talbot/Wales.
In the results are two marriages between William South and Prudence Meyrick, with images on Ancestry. The first is by Banns July 1887 in Croydon and the second by License April 1889 in Kilburn. The former is signed by William James South, with the original detail amended to add "James", and both have Bachelor, list the occupation as Musician and father as William South (Deceased); both results have Prudence, Spinster, with no occupation and father as Howard in 1887 and Thomas in 1889 (actual name is Howel/Howell) - both match a birth in 1859Q2.
I am happy with the 1887 marriage, as it fits very well and is in Croydon, near where Prudence and William worked at a school, and one of the witnesses is Dinah Cunningham, the widowed sister of Prudence, who also worked at the school.
Though there doesn't appear to be any evidence it could be a different couple, the 1889 image has a signature for Prudence that is markedly different from 1887, though William's is similar. Interestingly, one of the witnesses has the surname Cunningham (possibly Mary) whom I have not identified.
Because of the other thread, I'm now wondering if there may have been a "religion" aspect that caused them to think the marriage may not have been valid, though I believe both were CofE (based on the discharge of a matching William J South being a musician in the 2Btn Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry before a being a yardmaster/drillmaster at the school).
I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, insights - thanks.
Phil
In the family of a direct ancestor there are two children named Prudence Meyrick - 1845-1850 and 1853-1919. Prudence's age drifts and was 5 in 1861 and by 1881 matches 1859Q2 (instead of 1853Q2), reverting to 1856 in 1911. A search of FMP for the name with birth in 1853+/-10 gives 10 results, 9 about the two siblings and 1 a false positive and a similar search using South/Soath returns 3 census and one death. There are also two burial records for Prudence Myrick in 1850. All "place of birth" entries link to Taibach/Margam/Port Talbot/Wales.
In the results are two marriages between William South and Prudence Meyrick, with images on Ancestry. The first is by Banns July 1887 in Croydon and the second by License April 1889 in Kilburn. The former is signed by William James South, with the original detail amended to add "James", and both have Bachelor, list the occupation as Musician and father as William South (Deceased); both results have Prudence, Spinster, with no occupation and father as Howard in 1887 and Thomas in 1889 (actual name is Howel/Howell) - both match a birth in 1859Q2.
I am happy with the 1887 marriage, as it fits very well and is in Croydon, near where Prudence and William worked at a school, and one of the witnesses is Dinah Cunningham, the widowed sister of Prudence, who also worked at the school.
Though there doesn't appear to be any evidence it could be a different couple, the 1889 image has a signature for Prudence that is markedly different from 1887, though William's is similar. Interestingly, one of the witnesses has the surname Cunningham (possibly Mary) whom I have not identified.
Because of the other thread, I'm now wondering if there may have been a "religion" aspect that caused them to think the marriage may not have been valid, though I believe both were CofE (based on the discharge of a matching William J South being a musician in the 2Btn Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry before a being a yardmaster/drillmaster at the school).
I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, insights - thanks.
Phil