• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Two Housholds on One Census Page

GrahamC

LostCousins Member
At the 1881 census I have two related households on one page of the census. LC thinks they are all one household. Can I separate then in any way?
 
At the 1881 census I have two related households on one page of the census. LC thinks they are all one household. Can I separate then in any way?
Graham, I have LOTS of these*. At one time I separated them out into distinct households then I thought 'What the heck! Pile 'em all in together!' I reckon that if I ever match up with a LC on ONE household I might pull it out to be on its own but then again, the other LC might be related to all the rest too.
* I have one instance where I think I can trace the relationship to me of an entire census page of people.
 
I have one instance where I think I can trace the relationship to me of an entire census page of people.
I too have had a fair number of amalgamated family households which I never bothered to separate but a whole Census page is quite something!

My best in this respect came about when a Great x 2 Grandmother (with her second husband) ran a greengrocery shop and employed a good many family members on an apparent (from the night of the Census at any rate) live-in basis. I also found other family members (Great Aunts and Uncles with their families) living in adjacent 'back-to-back' properties sharing the same street base number (like 2 back of 4 and 3 back of 4) causing them to appear on the same page. A little short of a full page but a significant number of associated family members nevertheless.
 
Back
Top