I have an ancestor who was baptised as a baby as normal, and later in life joined and became a regular member of a Baptist chapel. He was required to undergo an 'adult' fully immersed baptism and so he too had a record of two baptisms. Were your ancestors Baptist by any chance as often all regular Chapel attendees were required to be baptised in the Baptist faith regardless of any previous baptisms?I believe I may have an ancestor who was baptised twice, once at birth in 1814 in Hampshire and again in 1829 in Lambeth with his brothers shortly before his father married a second time. Is this possible? Would appreciate any thoughts. Humpty.
I believe I may have an ancestor who was baptised twice, once at birth in 1814 in Hampshire and again in 1829 in Lambeth with his brothers shortly before his father married a second time. Is this possible? Would appreciate any thoughts. Humpty.
Yes Suzanne both scenarios ring true, although I had not heard of a private baptism even less not being done by a clergyman but given the circumstance you outline, quite understandable. I was speaking about a second baptism with my wife who not being into Genealogy said surely a christening comes first to name a child? I agreed but reminded that all christenings are baptisms anyway, but a second baptism almost always will be to 'confirm' someone into a church as an adult. Not sure about baptising the whole family but perhaps this can be explained with another tale on the home front.I can think of a couple more scenarios, consistent with CoE practices, as well as the ones outlined above:
As I understand it Roman Catholics are only allowed to "marry out" if they agree to bring up their children as Catholics. Of course, if the other parent converted this wouldn't be an issue.I was baptised twice.
First time in the Methodist church in the village where I was born.
Second time before my fist Communion in the RC church in the City where I then lived.
I was always going to be brought up as RC but the christening as a baby was a family/village affair and my mother had not converted to Catholicism on her marriage.
I understand that the reason for the second was that the original records had been damaged (must check this with Mum).
Yes that is correct, or at least was in the late 40's and 50's.As I understand it Roman Catholics are only allowed to "marry out" if they agree to bring up their children as Catholics.
Yes that is correct, or at least was in the late 40's and 50's.As I understand it Roman Catholics are only allowed to "marry out" if they agree to bring up their children as Catholics. Of course, if the other parent converted this wouldn't be an issue.
Most certainly, but my understanding is that to be married in a RC church both parties need to be of RC faith. That often means one party needs to convert to the faith as happened with a work colleague way back. He had to attend regular initiation lessons given by the Priest before he was accepted in the RC faith. Of course it went without saying that any children of the marriage had to be baptised and brought up as Catholics.From recent (2006) experience, that is still a requirement if the marriage is to take place in a Roman Catholic church.
That was not the case in 2006. However, the baptism of the first child was at the grandparents church because of some problem (possibly refusal to convert) with the local priest.Most certainly, but my understanding is that to be married in a RC church both parties need to be of RC faith.
No, that isn't so, Bob. My husband wasn't a Catholic when we were married in a Catholic church in Bath, Somerset, not in broad-minded Finland (as I mentioned earlier). All he had to do was a short course on Catholic teaching and promise our children would be brought up Catholics. That they, now all middle aged, no longer think of themselves as Catholics certainly isn't his fault. The amusing thing is that several years after we were married, the priest himself married and so had to give up the priesthood.but my understanding is that to be married in a RC church both parties need to be of RC faith.
Thank you Gillian, that information is quite pertinent to me as I am on a quest to find out why my father and his brother were not brought up as Catholics. Although I am going back in time to 1901 to my Grandparent's wedding, I thought a wedding in a RC church meant both parties were of the RC faith, with one converting to bring this about (especially as I recall two different couples of my acquaintance who did just that). Now you raise doubts that this may not always have applied (as does PhilGee relating to more recent time). If this viewpoint existed back then, perhaps my grandparents also wed in a catholic church whilst only my Grandmother being RC. This knocks on the head my understanding of 'marrying out' because I clearly did not think it applied if the wedding took place in a RC church, whilst it would be an obvious term if the marriage took place in an Anglican church.No, that isn't so, Bob. My husband wasn't a Catholic when we were married in a Catholic church in Bath