• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Tithe maps England and Wales

Gillian

LostCousins Star
"The Genealogist" has now released the tithe maps for England and Wales. Does anyone know what years these might cover. The Kent Archaeology Society has already released Tithe Award Schedules, but these only cover one year. e.g. 1842 for Shorne, 1845 for Cobham and 1840 for Gravesend. Could it be that the maps also only cover one year?
 
I've had a look around the website and I can't see a detailed breakdown of what they hold year-by-year. I haven't spent a lot of time in these records yet but generally I've only found one year's worth of records for any given parish, usually in the late 1830s or early 1840s.

My working assumption would also be that there's probably only one set of maps produced for each parish (given the magnitude of the task) but that the landowner/occupier details for each numbered plot were updated?
 
Thank you, Suzanne. I suspect the same. The reason for my question was that I was wondering whether it would be worth taking out a sub to The Genealogist. I suspect it wouldn't.
 
Please see this newsletter article - it's always worth checking my newsletters first, and it only takes a few seconds thanks to the customised Google search I provide.
 
Knuckles wrapped once again, but thank you all the same, Peter. I've now read your old newsletter and, above all, the article on the TNA site. If ever there's another special offer for The Genealogist, I'll definitely think about taking out a sub.
 
Just to let readers know that I took out a sub for The Genealogist, and it's been money more than well spent. As Peter told us back in April 2014, the maps and the accompanying apportionment plans are a mine of information about property, its owners and occupiers.
 
Thanks, Gillian - that's interesting feedback (I wasn't as lucky with the amount of information I found, but that's possibly because I have so many ag labs). By the way, if anyone else decides to subscribe to The Genealogist you can support LostCousins by using this link.
 
I'm lucky in that one of my families were big landowners, but it wasn't until I saw the tithe map (for Cobham, Kent) that I realised just how how big. Like you, Peter, with most of the other families I haven't been so lucky due to the number of ag.labs.
 
In the interest of balance can I just say I found my subscription to the Genealogist a waste of money. It offered very little to what I already had via FMP & Ancestry, so I cancelled. To be fair they asked why and I told them; they were gracious to hope I would reconsider and said they were always adding new features.
 
I'm so sorry, Bob. In contrast, my subscription has been so valuable that I'm going to extend it. The Tithe maps have been incredible - opening up a whole new world to me about landowning ancestors, one in particular, a certain William Pemble Wells in your part of the world, Bob, ie Kent (Cobham to be precise). I've also found excellent copies of wills that were practically illegible on Ancestry. Also, some of their census images are better than at either fmp or ancestry. But it's mainly the tithe maps I'm grateful for.
 
Please note that you cannot use The Genealogist's 1881 England & Wales Census transcription to enter relatives on your My Ancestors page as they don't use the LDS transcription (unlike Ancestry, Findmypast, and FamilySearch). However the fact that they have a different transcription might enable you to find relatives you've been unable to find at other sites.
 
I'm so sorry, Bob. In contrast, my subscription has been so valuable that I'm going to extend it
Gillian I'm more than glad to hear The Genealogist subscription has paid off for you but as Tithe maps are not really my cup of tea I found it just duplicating what I already head. However I do recall that some of its Will/Probate type transcriptions were much clearer than FMP or Ancestry, but never really used it enough to compare its Census Transcriptions.
in your part of the world, Bob, ie Kent (Cobham to be precise)
To me Kent is as Finland is to you; its where I finally came to roost after my Birmingham upbringing and a residence/work interval in Northamptonshire and a job change which took me to Kent. I was going to say none of my research covers Kent, but of course I forgot my younger sister's third marriage to a 'Man of Kent' (as opposed to 'Kentish Man' ) - and here I use his own interpretation... someone born in Kent to Kentish parents ... rather than other geographical interpretations, all of which get contested over time). Even so researching his ancestry centred mainly around the Dover end of Kent, as opposed to your Cobham interests, which are more the Gravesend and London end.
 
I hope you get as much pleasure and information from the Staffordshire tithe maps as I did from the Kent ones.
 
Greetings Gillian
These maps are wonderful and certainly compliment the 1841 England and Wales Census.
You could get an idea of where our ancestors lived from that Census BUT with these tithe maps sometimes even the buildings are shown.
 
Yes, I agree. It was so exciting to see the actual footprint of the houses where ancestors lived and, in a few cases, to compare them with what's there now.
 
Back
Top