• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Time to change your passwords!

Pauline

LostCousins Megastar
This caught my eye in the latest newsletter since I have likewise received several of these threatening spam emails, quoting my email address and a password in the subject line.

The first one came some weeks ago and I immediately started changing my passwords. I also checked out the "Have I Been Pwned?" website to see if other email addresses and passwords had been stolen, and found that they had.

Even if you haven't received any of these threatening emails, I would recommend heeding Peter's advice on this one, and at the very least check out the "Have I Been Pwned?" website.
 
Just a note to say - be careful what you post about security issues, as you never know who might be watching. Most parts of the forum are open to all, including search engines.
 
I hope I was careful enough with what I wrote!
Your post was fine - it was very non-specific, so didn't give anything away. My message was intended as a warning to anyone who might reply to your post, especially members who (against my advice) use their own names.
 
Back
Top