Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
It began with a communication from Australia from Debbie the granddaughter of my maternal first cousin once removed (making her a second cousin once removed). She passed on family detail and being a keen researcher herself (although in her own words, still a beginner) asked why I had not bothered with extending his (her grandfather’s) second marriage. (I should explain we both had Ancestry Public Trees so she was referring to that). I said I had been concerned with the bloodline through which she and I were connected but had noted in passing that after his divorce from his first wife Margaret he remarried a Jessica R. Boddington in 1962.
Debbie said she had researched the lady and had discovered the marriage and also her death in 2002 where she was regally styled as Jessica Rosita P.P. Cole (her second married surname). Despite this being a gift wrapped name to a Family Historian she had been totally unable to find a birth registration and asked if I could help. Of course I agreed and said I would email back the information.
I could find nothing in either FMP, Ancestry or Free BMD and tried every research trick I knew using minimal information, extending the birth years, omitting birth places; everything in fact so what was I missing? Finally after a tea break it dawned on me that the obvious answer had to be Boddington was not her maiden name. So I began again.
I will not dwell on methodology to discover a previous marriage as it will be known to most, but suffice to say I turned up the marriage of a Jessica Rosita P Parkins to a John C Boddington in 1938 and of course the missing information of Jessica Parkins’ birth in 1918 in Warwickshire.
I duly passed this on to Debbie who was quite amazed to learn Jessica had been married previously as apparently it had never been mentioned to her by her mother or UK based Aunts. She was also amazed to learn I had uncovered 3 children who might still be extant from this marriage. I said and perhaps it explains that the additional ‘P’ in her death registration, likely stood for Parkins!
Debbie said she had researched the lady and had discovered the marriage and also her death in 2002 where she was regally styled as Jessica Rosita P.P. Cole (her second married surname). Despite this being a gift wrapped name to a Family Historian she had been totally unable to find a birth registration and asked if I could help. Of course I agreed and said I would email back the information.
I could find nothing in either FMP, Ancestry or Free BMD and tried every research trick I knew using minimal information, extending the birth years, omitting birth places; everything in fact so what was I missing? Finally after a tea break it dawned on me that the obvious answer had to be Boddington was not her maiden name. So I began again.
I will not dwell on methodology to discover a previous marriage as it will be known to most, but suffice to say I turned up the marriage of a Jessica Rosita P Parkins to a John C Boddington in 1938 and of course the missing information of Jessica Parkins’ birth in 1918 in Warwickshire.
I duly passed this on to Debbie who was quite amazed to learn Jessica had been married previously as apparently it had never been mentioned to her by her mother or UK based Aunts. She was also amazed to learn I had uncovered 3 children who might still be extant from this marriage. I said and perhaps it explains that the additional ‘P’ in her death registration, likely stood for Parkins!