I have found that looking up the probate record for a relative can be useful in other ways than just the amount of money involved. The record will give the actual date and address of death, and the person/people to whom probate was granted can often give you an un-found marriage or children.
I have found several un-known husbands and wives, verified what were previously "possibles", realised why so many of my relations died in a nearby city (they were in hospital) and found one really fascinating incidence of a relation who died in a cinema ! (That one is still under investigation!)
So the value of probate is not just in £sd !
I have found several un-known husbands and wives, verified what were previously "possibles", realised why so many of my relations died in a nearby city (they were in hospital) and found one really fascinating incidence of a relation who died in a cinema ! (That one is still under investigation!)
So the value of probate is not just in £sd !