• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The Ryerson Index to death notices and obituaries in Australian newspapers

  • Thread starter Thread starter At home in NZ
  • Start date Start date
Thanks - a very useful site to bookmark. I work with a 6th cousin in Melbourne on one of our shared names & she is a real expert at ferreting out family notices etc from the Australian archives. However I just tried a name on this index & it brought up 5 references to my ancestor who originated from Yorkshire but died in Sydney where he had been a master mason working on some of the iconic buildings in the 1860s. I did have one of the references as an image downloaded from Ancestry but this index gave me 4 other references from different newspapers to the one I already had. Weirdly I was only looking at this part of my tree yesterday, after not accessing it for months, as I was writing an article about it for a family history journal.
 
Back
Top