Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
Once again I find myself confronting a family mystery and encountering family legend that conflicts with facts and this time about given birth names. An adoptive cousin checking his bloodline in my family Tribal Pages(TP) and mentioning that the Great Uncle who died in WW1 - a Drummer Boy and serving in the Worcestshire Regiment was a K.F. Richards not W.H. Richards as I showed.
Unfortunately he could not remember K.F's names and only remembers being taken as a child to the Birmingham Hall of Memory in the town centre (which I too visited as a child and indeed as an adult later)by his Grandmother Nellie. There he had pointed out his Great Uncle's name in the the War Memorial Register, but it only recorded initials - Richards, K.F. Drummer, Worc Reg (see inset)

Now family 'hand-me-down' legends are hard things to challenge and it seems his paternal grandmother often mentioned the younger brother who had joined the army in 1914 as a Drummer Boy and had been killed in the first few months of the war.
In TP I record the GRO Entry:
RICHARDS, WALTER HENRY 1894 : M quarter in ASTON : Vol 06D Page 267 Mother;s Maiden Name: LEWIS.
TP also records the family of Charles J.B. Richards and Elizabeth Ann Lewis with 5 children (which included Nellie his Grandmother). He recalls four of them are as he remembers, but still insists the one who enlisted as a drummer boy was a K.F. Richards, even though he can only go on the Memorial Register.
Unquestionably, Walter Henry enlisted in WW1 as a Drummer boy at the age of 19. There is absolutely no sign of a K.F. Richards. Elizabeth died in 1900 when Walter was aged about 6 and Charles married Eliza Hill in 1908 so she was effectively his step-mother when he joined the army.
His War record shows thus:

The parental information is a clincher for me and I cannot find K.F. Richards (indeed K seems to be a non starter as a MALE first initial for the period in question, given the location and criterion of search)
I admit to being at a loss to understanding why W.H. Richards should be transcribed as K.F which seems to have happened, so unless someone can come up with something I have missed, I shall have to stick to my guns and admit a transcription mistake was made at some point, which I know will be hard for him to accept.
Unfortunately he could not remember K.F's names and only remembers being taken as a child to the Birmingham Hall of Memory in the town centre (which I too visited as a child and indeed as an adult later)by his Grandmother Nellie. There he had pointed out his Great Uncle's name in the the War Memorial Register, but it only recorded initials - Richards, K.F. Drummer, Worc Reg (see inset)
Now family 'hand-me-down' legends are hard things to challenge and it seems his paternal grandmother often mentioned the younger brother who had joined the army in 1914 as a Drummer Boy and had been killed in the first few months of the war.
In TP I record the GRO Entry:
RICHARDS, WALTER HENRY 1894 : M quarter in ASTON : Vol 06D Page 267 Mother;s Maiden Name: LEWIS.
TP also records the family of Charles J.B. Richards and Elizabeth Ann Lewis with 5 children (which included Nellie his Grandmother). He recalls four of them are as he remembers, but still insists the one who enlisted as a drummer boy was a K.F. Richards, even though he can only go on the Memorial Register.
Unquestionably, Walter Henry enlisted in WW1 as a Drummer boy at the age of 19. There is absolutely no sign of a K.F. Richards. Elizabeth died in 1900 when Walter was aged about 6 and Charles married Eliza Hill in 1908 so she was effectively his step-mother when he joined the army.
His War record shows thus:

The parental information is a clincher for me and I cannot find K.F. Richards (indeed K seems to be a non starter as a MALE first initial for the period in question, given the location and criterion of search)
I admit to being at a loss to understanding why W.H. Richards should be transcribed as K.F which seems to have happened, so unless someone can come up with something I have missed, I shall have to stick to my guns and admit a transcription mistake was made at some point, which I know will be hard for him to accept.
Last edited: