• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The new Find My Past is coming......

Specifically for Lost Cousins...the details needed to entry a new cousin seem to have vanished. All I get for a Scotland 1881 census is the Archive Reference of RG11, with dashes for Piece, Folio and Page. I can't enter any more cousins with that info!
 
Specifically for Lost Cousins...the details needed to entry a new cousin seem to have vanished. All I get for a Scotland 1881 census is the Archive Reference of RG11, with dashes for Piece, Folio and Page. I can't enter any more cousins with that info!

Unfortunately if findmypast is your only source for Scotland 1881 you'll have to wait until they reinstate the references. Other sources are Ancestry, the FamilySearch CD ROM set, and Scotlandspeople.
 
Unfortunately if findmypast is your only source for Scotland 1881 you'll have to wait until they reinstate the references. Other sources are Ancestry, the FamilySearch CD ROM set, and Scotlandspeople.

. . . and the future of the FamilySearch CD-ROM is under some sort of cloud as it is reputed not to run on anything later than the doomed Windows XP. I have access to this CD from my local Library and they run XP Pro (having only recently upgraded from Win2K Pro) so what happens next is anyone's guess. They are extremely unlikely to step up to Win 7, and of course Win 8 is 64-bit only. Running anything in 'emulation' would not be simple to set up for the public, so perhaps they can be persuaded to keep an unconnected (from the Library's network and the Internet) standalone machine just for this and other reference CD-Roms in a similar position.

Alan
 
Tim your little headbanger is causing me distress to look at - can you take him away? please?

It's how I felt while I'm watching the 2 green arrows chase each other round and round and round.......
 
It looks like they're using FMP's data and search engine.
I noticed the reference to DC Thomson Family History on the website but it took me a while to cotton on to who they were. It will be useful to remember this when I've used Ancestry information as the only source in my tree.
 
Can't say that I've noticed a particular problem with the speed of findmypast's site. An All Records search for my surname in British records took just over a second to find 36,000 results (all right, 35,994). Surprisingly Smith didn't take any longer, even though it found over 10m results.

Maybe you're just doing the wrong searches, Tim?
 
There's a VIP subscription? I'm sure that must be reserved for Lost Cousin founders' only? :)
 
Back
Top