Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
If I told you I had found a Great Grandfather in the 1901 Census sporting a different surname, a different birthplace and different occupation, you would say chances are it is a different person to the one being sought. I would agree, but the facts that support him (and his wife) being one and the same are fairly compelling as I relate.
My Great x 2 grandparents were George Taylor born 1831 in Albrighton, Shropshire, married to Harriet Coley born 1835 in Birmingham in 1854. George was a Shoemaker, as was his father before him.
In 1881 they are correctly shown as George & Harriet Taylor and George is indeed a Boot & Shoemaker. George is shown born Albrighton Shropshire. A fairly large family but the youngest Florence Taylor aged 1 will relate later.
In 1891 the same, George Taylor born Albrighton, Shropshire and Harriet Taylor born Birmingham is shown with George a Shoe maker. Florence now 12 and a Scholar is with them.
I could not find George and Harriet in 1901 and of the family members I did find none accounted for George & Harriet; so I presumed both had died despite finding no death records for either between 1891 & 1901.
When it came to Florence I knew she had married John James Harris in 1897 and had a son George Harris in 1899. It was in finding John & Florence Harris, with a son George that I came across the anomaly of them living with a George & Harriet Hughes.
There is no doubt at all that the original shows the name Hughes, where George Hughes is shown as a ‘Gunmaker General’ and I admit that is what it appears to be although what a Gunmaker General might be escapes me. This George is shown born Birmingham as is his wife. So without relationships one would just assume John & Florence are lodging with a Hughes family.
However: John is shown as son in law – Florence as daughter – and young George as Grandson to the Head of course one George Hughes. Perfectly acceptable relationships for George & Harriet Taylor but not Hughes.
I found a death for Harriet Taylor in 1904 and George Taylor in 1910 so neither appear in the 1911 Census. I cannot find John or Florence either in 1911 despite knowing John died 1918 and Florence remarried Harold Clarke in 1919.
So circumstantial evidence would seem to show that for reasons unknown, George & Harriet Taylor (whose birth years give or take are those for George & Harriet Hughes) somehow got recorded as Hughes. The occupation looks like Gunmaker general (even with an oblique cross line through it) and born Birmingham cannot be denied. Addresses give nothing away as all Residences across the Censuses relate to the district of Bordesley, either Aston, Warwickshire, or Aston Birmingham.
As far as I am concerned George & Harriet Hughes are one and the same as George & Harriet Taylor but cannot explain the contradictions of occupation and birth except as ‘one of those Census things'.
If anyone can throw light on the anomalies described I will be pleased to consider all explanations. For now however John & Florence Harris, with young George, were living with Florence’s parents in 1901.
My Great x 2 grandparents were George Taylor born 1831 in Albrighton, Shropshire, married to Harriet Coley born 1835 in Birmingham in 1854. George was a Shoemaker, as was his father before him.
In 1881 they are correctly shown as George & Harriet Taylor and George is indeed a Boot & Shoemaker. George is shown born Albrighton Shropshire. A fairly large family but the youngest Florence Taylor aged 1 will relate later.
In 1891 the same, George Taylor born Albrighton, Shropshire and Harriet Taylor born Birmingham is shown with George a Shoe maker. Florence now 12 and a Scholar is with them.
I could not find George and Harriet in 1901 and of the family members I did find none accounted for George & Harriet; so I presumed both had died despite finding no death records for either between 1891 & 1901.
When it came to Florence I knew she had married John James Harris in 1897 and had a son George Harris in 1899. It was in finding John & Florence Harris, with a son George that I came across the anomaly of them living with a George & Harriet Hughes.
There is no doubt at all that the original shows the name Hughes, where George Hughes is shown as a ‘Gunmaker General’ and I admit that is what it appears to be although what a Gunmaker General might be escapes me. This George is shown born Birmingham as is his wife. So without relationships one would just assume John & Florence are lodging with a Hughes family.
However: John is shown as son in law – Florence as daughter – and young George as Grandson to the Head of course one George Hughes. Perfectly acceptable relationships for George & Harriet Taylor but not Hughes.
I found a death for Harriet Taylor in 1904 and George Taylor in 1910 so neither appear in the 1911 Census. I cannot find John or Florence either in 1911 despite knowing John died 1918 and Florence remarried Harold Clarke in 1919.
So circumstantial evidence would seem to show that for reasons unknown, George & Harriet Taylor (whose birth years give or take are those for George & Harriet Hughes) somehow got recorded as Hughes. The occupation looks like Gunmaker general (even with an oblique cross line through it) and born Birmingham cannot be denied. Addresses give nothing away as all Residences across the Censuses relate to the district of Bordesley, either Aston, Warwickshire, or Aston Birmingham.
As far as I am concerned George & Harriet Hughes are one and the same as George & Harriet Taylor but cannot explain the contradictions of occupation and birth except as ‘one of those Census things'.
If anyone can throw light on the anomalies described I will be pleased to consider all explanations. For now however John & Florence Harris, with young George, were living with Florence’s parents in 1901.