jorghes
LostCousins Superstar
I have just been completing my semi regular check for "Common Ancestors" a feature of Ancestry's which I usually find quite useful.
Today it has showed itself to be reaching a touch!
My great-grandfather is one of my biggest brick walls, as he was illegitimate and we haven't yet found a legitimate candidate for his father. However, today Ancestry seemingly thought that it had solved the problem...
When my great-grandfather was 2, his mother married her first and only husband, a gentleman called Enoch Rudge. Together they produced 10 children, half siblings to my great-grandfather and his older half brother.
And while my great-grandfather considered Enoch his father - at one point briefly taking his surname and adding him as his father on his marriage register, there was no blood link between them. Other than a brief glimpse on the 1891 census, my great-grandfather used his mother's maiden name for his entire life, as did his older half brother.
Ancestry, in its infinite wisdom, has found not one, but two Rudge DNA matches for me. But they have then created a possible tree for these matches, back to Enoch's own great-grandfather - a line of Rudges.
In all honesty, if Enoch had been my great-grandfather's biological father, I think that my mother's maiden name would have been Rudge rather than my great-great-great grandmother's name.
I presume that the DNA links that Ancestry is extrapolating is most likely that shared between my great-grandfather and his half siblings through his mother's line. But I just wanted to clarify that this would likely to be the case.
(otherwise this is even stranger!)
Today it has showed itself to be reaching a touch!
My great-grandfather is one of my biggest brick walls, as he was illegitimate and we haven't yet found a legitimate candidate for his father. However, today Ancestry seemingly thought that it had solved the problem...
When my great-grandfather was 2, his mother married her first and only husband, a gentleman called Enoch Rudge. Together they produced 10 children, half siblings to my great-grandfather and his older half brother.
And while my great-grandfather considered Enoch his father - at one point briefly taking his surname and adding him as his father on his marriage register, there was no blood link between them. Other than a brief glimpse on the 1891 census, my great-grandfather used his mother's maiden name for his entire life, as did his older half brother.
Ancestry, in its infinite wisdom, has found not one, but two Rudge DNA matches for me. But they have then created a possible tree for these matches, back to Enoch's own great-grandfather - a line of Rudges.
In all honesty, if Enoch had been my great-grandfather's biological father, I think that my mother's maiden name would have been Rudge rather than my great-great-great grandmother's name.
I presume that the DNA links that Ancestry is extrapolating is most likely that shared between my great-grandfather and his half siblings through his mother's line. But I just wanted to clarify that this would likely to be the case.
(otherwise this is even stranger!)