This is my first post to the forum so I hope it reads clearly enough for everyone to understand.
Although I have no pressing need yet for any DNA testing in my family, my wife’s tree does have a niggling little problem which I know is far from unusual. The said problem is that her father’s father is unknown (yes, it’s that little problem again) and, although her parents have passed on, the identity of the grandfather is something she and her siblings, 9 in all, have always naturally wondered about. There is, though, a vague understanding that the errant unknown father was in the army and managed to get himself posted elsewhere fairly quickly.
Although I believe the chances of finding the identity of the unknown man are fairly minimal, am I right in thinking that if one of my wife’s brothers is willing to take a YDNA test, there a possibility that a match could be made with someone who could also be a descendant of Mr Unknown. Obviously, the other descendant(s) would also have had to have taken a YDNA test, and be willing to correspond etc (assuming there are other descendants, of course).
Would Ancestry be the best option if I’m right (which would mean resubscribing)?
Although I have no pressing need yet for any DNA testing in my family, my wife’s tree does have a niggling little problem which I know is far from unusual. The said problem is that her father’s father is unknown (yes, it’s that little problem again) and, although her parents have passed on, the identity of the grandfather is something she and her siblings, 9 in all, have always naturally wondered about. There is, though, a vague understanding that the errant unknown father was in the army and managed to get himself posted elsewhere fairly quickly.
Although I believe the chances of finding the identity of the unknown man are fairly minimal, am I right in thinking that if one of my wife’s brothers is willing to take a YDNA test, there a possibility that a match could be made with someone who could also be a descendant of Mr Unknown. Obviously, the other descendant(s) would also have had to have taken a YDNA test, and be willing to correspond etc (assuming there are other descendants, of course).
Would Ancestry be the best option if I’m right (which would mean resubscribing)?