Marguerite
LostCousins Member
My grandfather was born in Rotherham Yorkshire to German immigrants from the Hohenlohe Region of Baden-Württemberg.
I met a German historian through my forum entries and although FamilySearch entered my forefathers, the link to my great grandparents was not apparent. My friend uncovered this and I am very grateful. Part of my family were in the leather trade and the others were pork butchers, masters in their trade from this area of Baden-Württemberg, who came over to, mostly, North and North West England to fill in a niche not provided by the English.
My grandfather came to Northwich, Cheshire, to be near his cousins, the Heinzmanns. and married an English woman. They had five daughters, the youngest being my mother (my Avatar). Grandfather Pfisterer, changed his name to Fisher. Someone threw a brick through his Garage windows but the person was arrested by the Police. He was attacked by a soldier who had escaped from Germany but the soldier got off mildly as he had escaped and had a brilliant war record.
His first grandson, my cousin Johnstone Christian Dalzell, was shot down as a Pilot on the great Mission of February 1944.
On the eve of the Great War celebrations, I have been reading stories and have been moved by the stories from both sides, England and Germany.
Are there any of you on the forum who also have English / German ancestors.
On a lighter note, I am going to Germany this August for a "Great Pork Butchers' Reunion" and am looking forward to it immensely. My great grandmother's birth house is still standing. She was born in 1842!!
I met a German historian through my forum entries and although FamilySearch entered my forefathers, the link to my great grandparents was not apparent. My friend uncovered this and I am very grateful. Part of my family were in the leather trade and the others were pork butchers, masters in their trade from this area of Baden-Württemberg, who came over to, mostly, North and North West England to fill in a niche not provided by the English.
My grandfather came to Northwich, Cheshire, to be near his cousins, the Heinzmanns. and married an English woman. They had five daughters, the youngest being my mother (my Avatar). Grandfather Pfisterer, changed his name to Fisher. Someone threw a brick through his Garage windows but the person was arrested by the Police. He was attacked by a soldier who had escaped from Germany but the soldier got off mildly as he had escaped and had a brilliant war record.
His first grandson, my cousin Johnstone Christian Dalzell, was shot down as a Pilot on the great Mission of February 1944.
On the eve of the Great War celebrations, I have been reading stories and have been moved by the stories from both sides, England and Germany.
Are there any of you on the forum who also have English / German ancestors.
On a lighter note, I am going to Germany this August for a "Great Pork Butchers' Reunion" and am looking forward to it immensely. My great grandmother's birth house is still standing. She was born in 1842!!