Kate
LostCousins Member
Peter suggested that I post about my experience with this site. I had wanted to look at the Lloyd George Valuation and other land records but was put off by the price. In the end I signed up for a year because it was offerred for less than eighty pounds which I thought reasonable. I would never get access more cheaply.
The land records have been brilliant and I expect I have only discovered the tip of the iceberg.
That said, there is good coverage for Greater London for the Valuation so it is best to see if the area you want is covered.
I have found that my great grand father's brother owned a number of properties locally plus descriptions of other houses inhabited by family. I have found land that was owned in Suffolk by ancestors relations. For me it has been worthwhile.
I am not sure how good the census info is; it may be good but I haven't used it enough to say as I had a lot of census info already.I have filled a few gaps but they may have been on Ancestry or findmypast.
The 1939 register is only a transcription, whereas it is good to see the proper page, I think, but better than nothing.
There are other records on there, baptisms, burials, etc but it depends on what you are looking for.
I would not suggest it for someone who was starting their tree as I think Findmypast or Ancestry would be better.
I put my tree on their treeview and looked at their hints out of curiousity; I did not think they were helpful, however if you find a person, there is often a symbol on the transcribed record which suggests their death or other event, which may be relevant.
Beneath the transcriptions of the census there is often a map showing the building, thoroughfare or parish in question. I can't say if they are always accurate because I would not know, they may be. I have found them helpful, though. There are good maps for free on the National Library of Scotland.
If you are thinking of signing up I would suggest researching what is on there and whether you want it first.
When I have had a good look at this, in a year or so, I shall be back to Ancestry. I think the more sites that can be explored, the better, finances permitting! (Don't forget Freecen and Freereg)
The land records have been brilliant and I expect I have only discovered the tip of the iceberg.
That said, there is good coverage for Greater London for the Valuation so it is best to see if the area you want is covered.
I have found that my great grand father's brother owned a number of properties locally plus descriptions of other houses inhabited by family. I have found land that was owned in Suffolk by ancestors relations. For me it has been worthwhile.
I am not sure how good the census info is; it may be good but I haven't used it enough to say as I had a lot of census info already.I have filled a few gaps but they may have been on Ancestry or findmypast.
The 1939 register is only a transcription, whereas it is good to see the proper page, I think, but better than nothing.
There are other records on there, baptisms, burials, etc but it depends on what you are looking for.
I would not suggest it for someone who was starting their tree as I think Findmypast or Ancestry would be better.
I put my tree on their treeview and looked at their hints out of curiousity; I did not think they were helpful, however if you find a person, there is often a symbol on the transcribed record which suggests their death or other event, which may be relevant.
Beneath the transcriptions of the census there is often a map showing the building, thoroughfare or parish in question. I can't say if they are always accurate because I would not know, they may be. I have found them helpful, though. There are good maps for free on the National Library of Scotland.
If you are thinking of signing up I would suggest researching what is on there and whether you want it first.
When I have had a good look at this, in a year or so, I shall be back to Ancestry. I think the more sites that can be explored, the better, finances permitting! (Don't forget Freecen and Freereg)