• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The Genealogist - Saving an Image

AndyMick

LostCousins Star
As a subscriber to a certain family history magazine, I am now in possession of a 3 month subscription to The Genealogist. With both Ancestry and FMP, I can save an image to my disk - I cannot see this option on TG. Am I missing something blindingly obvious? All I see is "Save to My Research Log" - no image. To have to use a low res screen print seems a pretty poor alternative.
 
Found it! Click on Tools and there's a Download item.
I'm not impressed by the quality of the transcriptions.
 
As a subscriber to a certain family history magazine, I am now in possession of a 3 month subscription to The Genealogist. With both Ancestry and FMP, I can save an image to my disk - I cannot see this option on TG. Am I missing something blindingly obvious? All I see is "Save to My Research Log" - no image. To have to use a low res screen print seems a pretty poor alternative.
Which image viewer are you using? On the main search page you should see a drop-down offering you the choice between the new viewer - jpgs - or old viewer - pdfs.

I am now using the new viewer, and when viewing an image there is a little box marked tools in the top right. Click this and then select the download option. Exactly what follows will depend on your browser but you should then be able to save the image to your computer.

When I used the old viewer there was a save option in the PDFs menu bar to download the image to your computer.
 
Last edited:
When I used the old viewer there was a save option in the PDFs menu bar to download the image to your computer.
I also had a PDF option available to me but didn't mention it because saving images as PDFs is not a good plan.
 
I also had a PDF option available to me but didn't mention it because saving images as PDFs is not a good plan.
At one time PDFs were the only option - as was the case at some other sites also. But there is a work around if you want to edit a PDF image before saving or printing.
 
New viewer - jpg.
So why did it save as png?!
Not knowing which dataset you were saving an image from I can't comment specifically, but I just tried with an image in a non-conformist register and that downloaded as a jpg.

I was slightly disconcerted when I clicked on Download to see a box appear with the sole option being to download the whole document, but whilst I had visions of the entire register downloading, it was just the page I was viewing.
 
Last edited:
New viewer - jpg.
So why did it save as png?!
Ah well, making progress slowly!
In firefox jpg and png seem to be the same.
I tried renaming a .png to .jpg and found the file would then open in any .jpg compatible software.
(NB: I use linux but I'm sure the same thing will apply in all OSes.)
 
1891 census image. Definitely labelled as a .png.
Most image readers will read almost anything but I'm fairly sure (just checked with Wiki) that it's a different format to .jpg but with the same aim in mind.
 
png and jpg are both compressed file formats, but png is lossless, so there is no degredation (png was invented when Compuserve suddenly remembered that they owned the rights to gif and threatened to charge people for using that file format).

It's therefore quite important to distinguish between png and jpg files.
 
Back
Top