ElaineMT
New Member
My first interest in family history was as a teenager, as my parents’ parents had died when they were children, so I never knew any grandparents, and was curious to know about them. But I didn’t start researching until the late 1990s, when I was in my 40s, and it wasn’t until the 1911 census was released that I was able to confirm a suspicion – that my maternal grandmother’s husband had died 5 years before my mum was born! Since then my main goal has been to try to discover who my maternal grandfather was, and just this year through a chance email to a DNA match I discovered that he and his half sister and a 2nd cousin of theirs are all DNA matches for me, so their maternal line (the line they link on) would appear to be the missing line where I will find my maternal grandfather (other DNA matches also tie in to this line). This is a family from the Bethnal Green area of London, and my mission is to find a male of the family who could have been in Deal, Kent, in 1918, during WW1, as my mum was born there in March 1919. One piece of evidence which has come to light during my researches is that he was a 'temporary soldier' who had a liaison with my grandmother. It is my unsolved brick wall, most others having been knocked down by perseverance!