BrianTunWells
LostCousins Member
I paid a wasted visit from my home in Kent to the British Library. I wanted to search for Kelly's Directories for the borough of Battersea in London, ones which are not held in Battersea Public Library. The assistant told me that a new indexing system has been introduced and it is not working properly. This was proved when the index showed me just one Kelly's Post Office Directory for Battersea, one I did not require. It did not help that the assistant was a foreigner and did not know what are Kelly's Directories. I now have to write to the BL and state specifically what I require and the staff in Boston Spa will make a physical search.
I also tried to locate Kelly's Directories for Jersey in the Channel Islands. The index revealed an early one for St. Helier, which I did nor require, and alongside it was one for Newark in Nottinghamshire!
I moved on to the London Metropolitan Archives, where I was told to go to the British Library, which holds all Kelly's Directories for London!
I also tried to locate Kelly's Directories for Jersey in the Channel Islands. The index revealed an early one for St. Helier, which I did nor require, and alongside it was one for Newark in Nottinghamshire!
I moved on to the London Metropolitan Archives, where I was told to go to the British Library, which holds all Kelly's Directories for London!