jorghes
LostCousins Superstar
So I finally managed to test my grandmother's DNA and as the results have slowly processed through Ancestry I'm really surprised.
Currently it lists my grandmother having DNA links (on Ancestry) of 532 4th cousins or closer... the largest number on any of other tests I've done was my mother's with 212 links to 4th cousins or closer.
Even following Peter's steps, I'm not sure how I could manage to plow through all those DNA links, because of course they don't include those listed as having a link which is more distant than a 4th cousin. I haven't attempted to approximate how many pages of DNA matches my grandmother has... I can imagine it would be quite a few.
I also swear one of my grandmother's 4th cousins links is a picture I've seen attached to a Lost Cousins member on the forum... though I can't remember which one... I would love to find out which one, as that is one of the people I'm not sure where they link in, and I don't have any other tests that match them that help me narrow it down.
It does however make me reflect that it is a shame that I can't test any of my other grandparents. As many people have previously heard me mention, as a young member of the forum (I'm in my 30s) I probably should have a few more grandparents still alive, however the other three - my paternal grandfather and both maternal grandparents died by the time I reached the age of 12. One of them, my maternal grandmother, died almost 20 years before I was born.
My paternal grandfather, whose legacy included a family tree of our paternal line stretching back 8 generations, his memoirs and notes and write ups of what he understood of the experiences of the paternal line according to his research, would have loved to have had his DNA tested I think.
Currently it lists my grandmother having DNA links (on Ancestry) of 532 4th cousins or closer... the largest number on any of other tests I've done was my mother's with 212 links to 4th cousins or closer.
Even following Peter's steps, I'm not sure how I could manage to plow through all those DNA links, because of course they don't include those listed as having a link which is more distant than a 4th cousin. I haven't attempted to approximate how many pages of DNA matches my grandmother has... I can imagine it would be quite a few.
I also swear one of my grandmother's 4th cousins links is a picture I've seen attached to a Lost Cousins member on the forum... though I can't remember which one... I would love to find out which one, as that is one of the people I'm not sure where they link in, and I don't have any other tests that match them that help me narrow it down.
It does however make me reflect that it is a shame that I can't test any of my other grandparents. As many people have previously heard me mention, as a young member of the forum (I'm in my 30s) I probably should have a few more grandparents still alive, however the other three - my paternal grandfather and both maternal grandparents died by the time I reached the age of 12. One of them, my maternal grandmother, died almost 20 years before I was born.
My paternal grandfather, whose legacy included a family tree of our paternal line stretching back 8 generations, his memoirs and notes and write ups of what he understood of the experiences of the paternal line according to his research, would have loved to have had his DNA tested I think.