On his death certificate in 1928 my grandfather, Thomas Chambers, is described as a 'Motor Cab Driver'. In 1912, on the marriage certificate to my grandmother, Minnie Lowe nee Pettifer, he gives his occupation as 'Taxi Driver'. From the marriage certificate I know he would have been born in 1869/70 but have been unable to find a definite birth entry for him as there are several entries during the relevant period for the name Thomas Chambers. The closest I have come on a census return to finding him is a possible entry in the 1901 census showing a Thomas Chambers aged 31, born in Camberwell, London and giving his occupation as 'Mail Driver'. The address was 185 Old Street, Shoreditch where he was a boarder.
I have been unable to find any information about taxi drivers at the turn of the last century. There don't appear to be any records kept. I've been to the Westminster City Archives and searched at FMP with no success.
I don't know where to go from here and any tips would be welcome.
I have been unable to find any information about taxi drivers at the turn of the last century. There don't appear to be any records kept. I've been to the Westminster City Archives and searched at FMP with no success.
I don't know where to go from here and any tips would be welcome.