Thank you. I did a compact and tried the sync - got the error again. So I did the download from Ancestry; everything seems to be there except the name I changed and the names I added, but that was what I was hoping to see. The military and AKA records did not show up until I did the custom view at the bottom, added those and the information showed up. There will be other custom views that I will have to add, like Baptism, etc., but since the military and AKA showed right away, I expect the others will as well. I did another sync after I changed a name from Joyce to Joice, and then again after I added the parents to another person, both times it worked.
Thank you to everyone for all your help. (I would still like to know what I did wrong however, so I do not do it again)
I do wonder though, why it is suggested that a compact be done before every sync.
Oh, and I saved that repairing a tree page.
I have another question though. Ancestry gave my ancestor Joice another spouse - he already had three but they gave him one with his name, so that Henry Joice had a spouse with the name Henry Joice, marriage date the same as one of his wives. I deleted that second Henry but now it says unknown spouse. How do I remove that?