• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Suffolk surnames

Susan48

LostCousins Superstar
The essexandsuffolksurnames website is a useful resource for anyone with ancestors in either or both of those counties. Volunteers are transcribing parish registers as an ongoing project and the transcriptions are uploaded onto FreeReg, but the website will tell you precisely which parishes have been done. There is a lot of other useful information, as well as a blog. Highly recommended.
 
Essex registers have already been transcribed by Ancestry, and most Suffolk registers have been transcribed by members of Suffolk FHS - the coverage of their CD ROMs far exceeds what Findmypast have available, even though they have sourced most of their Suffolk data from the FHS.

Unfortunately it can get expensive buying CD ROMs - I have spent over £100 in the Suffolk FHS shop over the past couple of years, even so my collection only covers a small part of the county. The good news for those of us with Suffolk ancestors is that Ancestry will be putting the registers online, though I'm still waiting to find out the timescale.
 
Unfortunately it can get expensive buying CD ROMs - I have spent over £100 in the Suffolk FHS shop over the past couple of years, even so my collection only covers a small part of the county. The good news for those of us with Suffolk ancestors is that Ancestry will be putting the registers online, though I'm still waiting to find out the timescale.

The contract starts this month and runs to the end of June 2029. I guess that's the end of Ancestry's period of exclusive rights to market images, in which case they'll need to do the photography and indexing pretty quickly. Details here.
 
I guess that's the end of Ancestry's period of exclusive rights to market images
Quite possibly, but I'm still waiting for the procurement manager at Suffolk County Council to get back to me with confirmation (I've just sent him a reminder).
 
Back
Top