• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Special constable 1939

SLJ

LostCousins Member
I am having trouble finding archives that list special constables of 1939. Noticed this written after all other details about a person from the 1939 register in column 11. see instructions. Special constable no----etc
Is there such a register that can be viewed on line?
 
What are you hoping to find out?
Hoping to find any information about an ancestor. Which division maybe just any general info a record may tell you about an ancestor that you don't already know.
 
I'd suggest you start with this website to find out what they do.
Thanks, in case anyone else contacts them, they were of no use and even went as far as to say'I am not sure why you emailed us?'
Not having much luck.
 
Which division maybe just any general info
If you look at the paragraph about Volunteering on this page in the UK police website you will see that the police don't have divisions.
There are a few websites about the police but unfortunately I don't think you will find an answer to your question because it seems you need to know which police station your ancestor was attached to and whether there are any historical records for the volunteers at that station in 1939.
 
the police don't have divisions
The Metropolitan Police is - or at least was - divided into divisions (see my recent review).

I think it's very likely that he served locally, so contact the local force. Of course, there's no guarantee that any records have survived.
 
I am having trouble finding archives that list special constables of 1939
Having just found 'special constable' against a person in the 1939 register I decided to do a bit more research because I remembered this post.
There is a lot of information in this Wiki page Special Constabulary it will give you an insight into the structure and by digging around in the links under 'See Also' you might find somewhere you can find what you're looking for.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
 
Back
Top