Bryman
LostCousins Megastar
Most family groups are very simple with just a couple of children born to a single couple.
However, in years gone by, some families have had many more children with one of my direct ancestor couples producing 12 children just over 100 years ago. How did they manage to afford to raise so many? He was a village postmaster and not some rich aristocrat.
I am sure that other forum members can find instances of even larger families but I thought it worth starting a discussion about the complexity of some relationships. I like to see the pictorial representation of family trees rather than just data in tables but sometimes this can be difficult to draw clearly.
About 150 years ago, blood relatives of mine started a simple family . . .
A married B and had 2 children. Elsewhere, C married D and also had 2 children.
Then B and C died leaving A and D to marry. So far, not too unusual.
Not content with the combined family, they then produced another six themselves, at which point it was just too much and D passed away.
A obviously did not relish a life without a mate so was married for a third time and had another child to add to the family.
Then yesterday evening I discovered that A and D had produced a seventh child, before any of their previously known six. This was not the simplest of additions to make to the graphical family tree but I eventually found out how to identify which were the parents of the new child, within GenoPro, by separating the marriage lines. That particular chart is now looking a bit like a spider's web.
Have any forum members had more complex relationships to represent using other family tree programs?
However, in years gone by, some families have had many more children with one of my direct ancestor couples producing 12 children just over 100 years ago. How did they manage to afford to raise so many? He was a village postmaster and not some rich aristocrat.
I am sure that other forum members can find instances of even larger families but I thought it worth starting a discussion about the complexity of some relationships. I like to see the pictorial representation of family trees rather than just data in tables but sometimes this can be difficult to draw clearly.
About 150 years ago, blood relatives of mine started a simple family . . .
A married B and had 2 children. Elsewhere, C married D and also had 2 children.
Then B and C died leaving A and D to marry. So far, not too unusual.
Not content with the combined family, they then produced another six themselves, at which point it was just too much and D passed away.
A obviously did not relish a life without a mate so was married for a third time and had another child to add to the family.
Then yesterday evening I discovered that A and D had produced a seventh child, before any of their previously known six. This was not the simplest of additions to make to the graphical family tree but I eventually found out how to identify which were the parents of the new child, within GenoPro, by separating the marriage lines. That particular chart is now looking a bit like a spider's web.
Have any forum members had more complex relationships to represent using other family tree programs?