• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Simple tree template

les.the.paperman

LostCousins Member
I'm trying to make up a basic family tree chart for grandchildren and great grandchildren so that they understand where they came from and, hopefully, get them interested enough in the future for me to pass on my findings over the past forty to fifty years.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to download a basic template, ideally with some form of background design, which could be used to record just parents up to about five or six generations (I could go back further but then gaps would start appearing) which could then be printed on A4 paper and framed.

I have downloaded a basic chart design, obviously intended to be completed by hand, which I have tried using as a background but I had to format the rows and columns to different size fonts to overlay, but it's been a lot of fiddling about as can be seen below. Something ready-made would be so much easier!

upload_2019-11-11_15-4-19.png​

Hopeful, thanks
 
Do you use Family Tree Software? Does it not have a report?
 
Hi Tim

I use RootsMagic which does have a report maker but I've never managed to find a way to reduce what I want down to A4 size as I can't find a way of changing font sizes of different rows. That's why I was hoping that someone may have already written something suitable. As you can see from the example I've altered the font size at each generation in order to get it to fit to one page but still be readable.

Les
 
There is TreeDraw, which I used ages ago, and which allows a fair bit of flexibility with creating charts. You used to be able to download a trial version for free. Google will find it, I think.
 
Since children of all ages learn more by doing, why not give them blank charts (like the ones in your first post) and a copy of the relevant section of your tree, and offer prizes for those who produce the best completed charts. You could have different categories to suit different ages and abilities - ideally everyone would win a prize.
 
children of all ages learn more by doing
A great idea Peter.

I find the charts in FTM are difficult to use and don't do what I want so I use charting companion which is compatible with any genealogy program.

Find it here and I'd suggest you purchase direct because you get a better service if you need help.
 
Thanks for the ideas. I'll look at the different options but the idea of giving them the basic information and getting them to fill in the charts themselves sounds very interesting. Think I'll give that a go. I was intending giving them a basic ancestor report just going back as far as the chart goes, but which contains much more information about their lives, not just birth and death years. If I can get them hooked then I'll share the full family.
 
Back
Top