Mitch_in_Notts
LostCousins Member
'By parent BETA' is back on on mine now but not on my Mums - so at least that is 2 out of 3 !
As I understand it, Ancestry implement SideView by feeding your DNA and all your "distant" matches into their IBDphase processing. That produces a single phasing solution for your whole genome, with all the paired DNA labelled with which side came from the same parent (1 or 2) throughout. The proofs of its operation are based on using all the matches in IBDphase and then labelling them using its results. An update, said to be monthly, involves repeating this with any new matches included.By Parent Beta is now back on my Mums, with one new Maternal match. I thought these figures were only going to be updated once a month from something Peter had posted before?
I did not understand one word (well perhaps one but that was about all) of your posting and wonder if you are a practitioner of Double Dutch. I dislike intensely (and often say so when I come across DNA or Covid) pseudo scientific jargon. Remember 'the cat sat on the mat' is all that is necessary to relate that a 'Felis catus of the Felidae family resided on a Persian carpet'. Remember KISS (keep it simple stupid).As I understand it, Ancestry implement SideView by feeding your DNA and all your "distant" matches into their IBDphase processing. That produces a single phasing solution for your whole genome, with all the paired DNA labelled with which side came from the same parent (1 or 2) throughout. The proofs of its operation are based on using all the matches in IBDphase and then labelling them using its results. An update, said to be monthly, involves repeating this with any new matches included.
So what do they do with a new match (i.e. a new test) that turns up before the next update? They might hold them all back and not show you them at all until then, or label them as not having SideView available yet. But I think they just use the results from the last full run of IBDphase, and it's very unlikely it will be wrong.
That's a bit of a problem - I'd already taken out all the technical terms except genome and phasing. And there are two of Ancestry's names, one branding and one for computing internals. Those are all hard to remove, given the subject being talked about, though might be explained.I did not understand one word (well perhaps one but that was about all) of your posting and wonder if you are a practitioner of Double Dutch. I dislike intensely (and often say so when I come across DNA or Covid) pseudo scientific jargon. Remember 'the cat sat on the mat' is all that is necessary to relate that a 'Felis catus of the Felidae family resided on a Persian carpet'. Remember KISS (keep it simple stupid).
In this case, it's just a matter of recording the numbers of P1/P2/NA matches off the "By Parent" page after an update (or the fist time). I did it in a post here!How do you all know these things, do you keep a record of all the numbers? Isn't that very time-consuming?
OK, I guess that wouldn't be too onerous. I'll have a think where would be best to put the info, so I can easily check for any changes. I have had matches disappear and reappear, which can be disconcerting, but just having the totals wouldn't necessarily highlight that?In this case, it's just a matter of recording the numbers of P1/P2/NA matches off the "By Parent" page after an update (or the fist time). I did it in a post here!
It's just occurred to me that occasionally a match might disappear if the test result is deleted. You'd not notice unless you are keeping track, or it was an important match to you.
As I understand it they label them as not available.So what do they do with a new match (i.e. a new test) that turns up before the next update? They might hold them all back and not show you them at all until then, or label them as not having SideView available yet. But I think they just use the results from the last full run of IBDphase, and it's very unlikely it will be wrong.
Just checked again, and no, we still don’t have it.Finally, I now have this feature in my account. Pauline and Kirsten, has it now been rolled out to you too?
I've got it back - not sure when that happened.Just checked again, and no, we still don’t have it.
….. while some of us have never had it to lose!I've got it back…..
….. while some of us have never had it to lose!
Maybe when (if?) the Chromosome painter decides to make an appearance in our account, while not of itself worth shouting about, it’ll be a sign that this feature might be next.