There were plenty of people who were equally adamant that they would never subscribe to Ancestry.
Now who's promoting hearsay? And Bob's hazy recollections were not so hazy over a decade ago to have forgotten them and not warn others. Anyway athNZ is right if you are so concerned about facts - and no one has come forward to provide them - join and find out for yourself. Don't worry it will not be long before another offer is on its way.
But if its facts you require here are a few to be going on. MyHeritage (an Israeli company) in its early days (c 2003) -lacking any credible genealogical database or knowhow themselves - decided the only way forward was to acquire others who had such credibility. One of their early acquisitions was '
Pearl Street Software' the creator of my all time favourite genealogical program -
Family Tree Legends (FTL). They closed it down and I was mortified big time. I nearly gave up FT research but others persuaded me to carry on so I decided to join MyH. What an experience

. Mostly bad and very little good to say about it, although I did liaise with a few fellow subscribers who lightened the load. But, in the end decided I wanted out. That was easier said than done and I had my sub renewed against my wishes, but have aired that grievance before so will desist from being accused of adding more hearsay.
But MyH persevered with their acquisition crusade and there followed a string of others. I remember Gencircles and Geni.com and after acquiring the latter, MyH claimed they hoped to build on Geni's claim .."
to create a family tree of the whole world". Many took this to heart and as everyone seemed to be able to contact everyone else, I was often greeted (mostly by Americans) with "Hi Bob" and then airing their various claims to have traced ancestors back to Genghis Khan, and a good many back to Charlemagne and one, at least, to Adam himself. I thought the whole thing a travesty of serious research and made my points known at the time.
That's enough facts for one day and who knows MyH may have changed and be a force to be reckoned with (after all they have now formed a 'strategic' partnership with
'FamilySearch', boast upwards of 75 million subscribers, and launched their own DNA testing service). But I leave that for others to judge and say if it be so.