Susan48
LostCousins Superstar
My son recently took an ancestry DNA test and is happy for me to manage the results. My husband has also tested and our son's results have been helpfully identified as Father's side or Mother's side. In looking at his shared matches with me I've been surprised to find that in some cases my son shares more DNA with the shared match than I do. It's not a lot more, but in a few cases it's pushed the match up into the 4th-6th cousin range. I would have expected him to share the same amount of DNA with matches as I do, or less - not more, but perhaps I'm missing something.
On a more bizarre note, my son's ethnicity estimate includes a surprising 1% North African element, which neither my husband nor I have.
On a more bizarre note, my son's ethnicity estimate includes a surprising 1% North African element, which neither my husband nor I have.