Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
Phil, there you have it in one (as I mentioned in replying to Peter). The protocol (as you say) is at first use the full form, showing its abbreviated term in brackets (a simpler word than parenthesis); after which the short form is acceptable. I accept within Forum postings the full form may well have been used before, so an abbreviated form is (perhaps) acceptable. But we should remember others will try to make sense of an actual posting without having to dive back to see what it means. I am well aware of the time it takes to write Forth cousin, once removed against 4C1R, but you demonstrated your uncertainty by reminding (using an asterisk), it should not be confused with a similar spreadsheet reference!The basis of the approach is, at first use, to give the phrase in full immediately followed by the abbreviation within parentheses; thereafter, the abbreviation can be used as it has been fully defined within the document (which, in this case, is the thread).
I also had military (RAF) experience in a clerical capacity and am fully aware of the armed forces use of the short form for rank and position. I worked at Command Headquarters (CHQ) for the PMO (Principal Medical Officer) who was an AVM (Air Vice Marshal); but outside the forces these terms would only be used after the full form had been shown.
On another level entirely, I also once had a tendency given my early enthusiasm for gardening to use the botanical name for flowers, until I found others hadn't a clue what I was talking about. When explaining that Myositis was rampant my wife reminded I meant 'Forget-me-not'.
I agree, in a Genealogical Forum some acceptance of short-form terminology can be taken as read, but DNA terminology is a different thing altogether and we should tread lightly on the use of DNA short form. Especially if the intention is to spread the gospel and encourage DNA testing.