Pauline
LostCousins Megastar
I have been trying without success to locate a William GEORGE between 1891 and 1915, and also find his first marriage.
William was born in Cheltenham and his birth was registered in Sep qtr 1862. His parents were Joseph GEORGE, a gardener, and Louisa nee TRUEMAN. He is with his parents in the 1871 census, and in 1881 he is a ship's boy on a vessel in Cardiff, aged 17.
My next confirmed sighting of him is as a witness when his sister married in Cheltenham in August 1891.
(I have found a William GEORGE born Cheltenham in the 1891 census, a railway horse driver in Chaddesden DBY. However, his given age is only 19 which makes him seem unlikely, though I haven't yet determined who else he might be.)
After 1891 I lose track of William until he turns up in Upper Norwood SRY in April 1915, when he married Charlotte Elizabeth SHORTER. He then gives himself as aged 41, a widower, occupation miner, with father Joseph GEORGE, gardener, deceased.
In the 1939 register, where he is shown with wife Charlotte (as above), William gives his date of birth as 31 July 1866. He died in May 1949, aged 84, and is buried in Hither Green cemetery, Lewisham.
Despite the age inconsistencies, I think all the above references (except maybe the 1891 census one) relate to the same William GEORGE, but I lack absolute proof, and am hoping that tracking down where he was between 1891 and 1915 may provide it.
Can anyone help me fill in the gaps, please?
William was born in Cheltenham and his birth was registered in Sep qtr 1862. His parents were Joseph GEORGE, a gardener, and Louisa nee TRUEMAN. He is with his parents in the 1871 census, and in 1881 he is a ship's boy on a vessel in Cardiff, aged 17.
My next confirmed sighting of him is as a witness when his sister married in Cheltenham in August 1891.
(I have found a William GEORGE born Cheltenham in the 1891 census, a railway horse driver in Chaddesden DBY. However, his given age is only 19 which makes him seem unlikely, though I haven't yet determined who else he might be.)
After 1891 I lose track of William until he turns up in Upper Norwood SRY in April 1915, when he married Charlotte Elizabeth SHORTER. He then gives himself as aged 41, a widower, occupation miner, with father Joseph GEORGE, gardener, deceased.
In the 1939 register, where he is shown with wife Charlotte (as above), William gives his date of birth as 31 July 1866. He died in May 1949, aged 84, and is buried in Hither Green cemetery, Lewisham.
Despite the age inconsistencies, I think all the above references (except maybe the 1891 census one) relate to the same William GEORGE, but I lack absolute proof, and am hoping that tracking down where he was between 1891 and 1915 may provide it.
Can anyone help me fill in the gaps, please?