jorghes
LostCousins Superstar
I find the help I gain from people on this forum invaluable, which is why I keep asking questions! (Plus my father had a query from my aunt about the family history information held by my grandmother's cousin, so it reminded me of a hole I have in their shared family history.)
I have looked for any record of the birth of my ancestress, Hannah Isaacs, and have hit a wall (a brick one). I have searched on Ancestry, FMP and even JewishGen with absolutely no success. Unfortunately Hannah was born prior to civil registration, so that isn't an option (if only...), what is left is to find her on the 1841 census, which she should appear on and which I have had little luck finding an appropriate match.
So what I know about Hannah:
She was born in approximately 1825/26 in Brighton, Sussex (according to the 1851 census return, and her Australian children's birth registers - which give a mother's maiden name, age and birthplace). She married her husband Samuel Collins, in 1850 at the Hambro Synagogue, at the time she was living in Finsbury. She and her husband appear on the 1851 census living in St Giles and the Fields and St George (Samuel lived in St Giles when they married) - (Piece: 1509; Folio: 333; Page: 4).
Their eldest two children, Catherine (1851) and Charles (1853) were born in London, they sailed to Australia on the Gypsy Queen in 1855. (Her three other children Joseph (1857), Anne (1860) and Esther (1862) were born in Sydney)
According to her death certificate from 1889, her father's name was a Samuel and her mother's Kate (her son Joseph was the informant). And it suggests that her father's occupation was an undertaker. Her death register also gives her birthplace as Brighton (I love Australian certificates).
Subsequent trawling of Trove also brought up a death notice for her brother, David Samuel Isaacs for 14 Jul 1887, placed in a Sydney paper by Hannah, after he had died in London. I used that information to locate David Samuel Isaacs in London and gathered the following information about him:
Born in approximately 1819, married in Brighton to Ann Stone in 1845, living in London on the 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 censuses with his (possible) 12 children. Death register for 1887 was also located.
I do not have David in the 1841 census either, and (hopefully) if found, both David and Hannah are at the time, living with their parents, presumably in Brighton.
So are places that I can search for David or Hannah (or both) that I haven't looked?
I have looked for records of a Samuel Isaacs, undertaker in the records I can find for the Brighton Jewish community, but haven't had much luck. (Most of these are accessible through the JewishGen databases)
I suppose, with Samuel Collins being a Dutch Ashkenazi Jew that there is a possibility that Hannah's family were also Ashkenazi, but I don't want to presume anything (i.e. I am open to the possibility that Hannah's father and mother were not Samuel and Kate).
Anything that may help me find another record of Hannah, her brother David and possible parents would be greatly appreciated. (I also considered a change of name, as Samuel Collins' parents anglicised the mother's maiden name, but it didn't seem to fit "Isaacs").
I have looked for any record of the birth of my ancestress, Hannah Isaacs, and have hit a wall (a brick one). I have searched on Ancestry, FMP and even JewishGen with absolutely no success. Unfortunately Hannah was born prior to civil registration, so that isn't an option (if only...), what is left is to find her on the 1841 census, which she should appear on and which I have had little luck finding an appropriate match.
So what I know about Hannah:
She was born in approximately 1825/26 in Brighton, Sussex (according to the 1851 census return, and her Australian children's birth registers - which give a mother's maiden name, age and birthplace). She married her husband Samuel Collins, in 1850 at the Hambro Synagogue, at the time she was living in Finsbury. She and her husband appear on the 1851 census living in St Giles and the Fields and St George (Samuel lived in St Giles when they married) - (Piece: 1509; Folio: 333; Page: 4).
Their eldest two children, Catherine (1851) and Charles (1853) were born in London, they sailed to Australia on the Gypsy Queen in 1855. (Her three other children Joseph (1857), Anne (1860) and Esther (1862) were born in Sydney)
According to her death certificate from 1889, her father's name was a Samuel and her mother's Kate (her son Joseph was the informant). And it suggests that her father's occupation was an undertaker. Her death register also gives her birthplace as Brighton (I love Australian certificates).
Subsequent trawling of Trove also brought up a death notice for her brother, David Samuel Isaacs for 14 Jul 1887, placed in a Sydney paper by Hannah, after he had died in London. I used that information to locate David Samuel Isaacs in London and gathered the following information about him:
Born in approximately 1819, married in Brighton to Ann Stone in 1845, living in London on the 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 censuses with his (possible) 12 children. Death register for 1887 was also located.
I do not have David in the 1841 census either, and (hopefully) if found, both David and Hannah are at the time, living with their parents, presumably in Brighton.
So are places that I can search for David or Hannah (or both) that I haven't looked?
I have looked for records of a Samuel Isaacs, undertaker in the records I can find for the Brighton Jewish community, but haven't had much luck. (Most of these are accessible through the JewishGen databases)
I suppose, with Samuel Collins being a Dutch Ashkenazi Jew that there is a possibility that Hannah's family were also Ashkenazi, but I don't want to presume anything (i.e. I am open to the possibility that Hannah's father and mother were not Samuel and Kate).
Anything that may help me find another record of Hannah, her brother David and possible parents would be greatly appreciated. (I also considered a change of name, as Samuel Collins' parents anglicised the mother's maiden name, but it didn't seem to fit "Isaacs").