• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Searching 1881 LDS census at ScotlandsPeople

Doug

New Member
On old records I've found Mc and Mac to be interchangeable. When searching on ScotlandsPeople I use a wildcard, such as M*cKay. As Peter mentioned this doesn't work with the 1881 LDS census as most such names are recorded as two words, for example Mac Kay. To get around this I can search for *Kay on the 1881 census.
 
What a shambles! How are customers supposed to know that *kay works but m*kay and m*c*kay don't?

It's not the only glitch that I encountered - if you refine a search the forename you've entered sometimes disappears and has to be re-entered. It wouldn't surprise me if there are other idiosyncrasies that my brief testing hasn't uncovered.
 
Back
Top