• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Saving documents from FindMyPast

Norman

LostCousins Member
I have memberships of both Ancestry and FindMyPast. I keep my up-to-date tree on Ancestry so that I can synchronise the tree to my PC. There is a tree on FindMyPast but is nowhere near being up-to-date.

If I search and find a document on FMP that I would like to add to my Ancestry tree there seems to be no option to save the document to my computer, only "add to my tree". Do you have to keep a tree on FMP? If not can I delete my tree(s) and, if I did so, would there then be an option to save to my PC?

What am I missing?
 
Hi Norman, I don't have a tree on FMP so don't see the issue. Presumably they think that if you have a tree with them, that is where you want to save the tree to?

Have you tried right clicking on the image? You normally get some save options then.
 
Hello Norman:) I always view the original image (when available) then download.
Otherwise as Tim's says , right click and save
 
I think that the things I had found were transcripts without images. I searched for something that I knew had an image and there was an option to download at the bottom of the page.

I deleted my trees and tried again. There was still the "Attach to tree" option but the download link was still there.
 
My work-around was to do a print screen copy of the transcript, then paste into paint before cropping and saving into a word doc, then attaching into my tree programme. I haven't felt the need to upload any of those to my ancestry trees but I'm sure it could be done easily - I've seen plenty of them done by others.

It probably sounds a bit tedious, but once you get into the rhythm its not so bad. :)
 
Not sure what Operating System you're on, but have you tried MS Snipping Tool?

You can copy as much as or as little as you want and then paste into Word. Cuts out a couple of steps. I use it all the time now.
 
Gosh, you learn something new.... excellent!

I went to download it then discovered its on my machine already. :D (just click on start and search 'snipping')
 
My original point was regarding documents not index entries. Thanks Tim.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use FMP much and my recent searches only came up with index entries rather images of documents. On an index entry there is no option to save to computer only "add to my tree". If the search finds an index AND an image of the document then there is a download button on the image page. By the way, there are MUCH better programs for snipping parts of the screen than MS' Snipping Tool. I tried to post a link but it seems that's not allowed.
 
Snipping Tool is so simple! But it would be nice if it had a few more features :)
 
I generally recommend that members use the Print Screen button and paste the contents of the clipboard into Irfanview, which is a program that family historians should already have one their PCs. Irfanview is particularly good for cropping, resizing, and changing contrast prior to printing - the Snipping Tool is very limited by comparison - and I've used it almost every day since it was first recommended to me by a LostCousins member nearly 10 years ago.
 
I don't think Snipping Tool can do this.

View attachment 713
You're right, what program is that?

I generally recommend that members use the Print Screen button and paste the contents of the clipboard into Irfanview, which is a program that family historians should already have one their PCs. Irfanview is particularly good for cropping, resizing, and changing contrast prior to printing - the Snipping Tool is very limited by comparison - and I've used it almost every day since it was first recommended to me by a LostCousins member nearly 10 years ago.
I still use Irfanview Peter, horses for courses. If I don't need anything complex and it's just a screen grab, then I tend to use Snipping Tool.

Also I would suggest that people use ALT + Print Screen, this just captures the active window instead of capturing the whole screen.
 
Use a snipping tool if you don't want a whole window. The program I recommend allows you to place your capture directly to the clipboard and you can then paste it directly into your message or wherever you want. No graphics program is required. It also allows you to place a small delay on the capture in order that you can capture menus, pointers or anything else that disappears as you move your mouse. The program is called Screenshot Captor. I won't post the link as Peter doesn't like that. You download and use at your own risk but I've used it for years creating help and support pages to illustrate computer processes.
 
The point I was trying to make, Tim, is that family historians need to use Irfanview or a similar program - whereas they don't need to learn how to use the Snipping Tool or any similar utility. At my age I like to keep things simple - and having spent most of my career in the software business I know that that's what most people prefer.

There are always slightly cleverer ways to do things, but they generally come at a cost (and I'm not talking about money). If I can manage with Print Screen and Irfanview then so can 99% of other family historians.

I might look at Norman's program at some point because there are times when I would like to capture the pointer, which Print Screen ignores, when I'm creating documentation - but that's not something that the average family historian will ever need to do.
 
I understand Peter, but ALT + Print screen captures what you need, it's just a neater more concise way of doing the same thing.

Try it sometime, for example make Chrome smaller than a full size window, do a Print Screen and paste into Irfanview and then do a ALT + Print Screen and paste into Irfanview.
 
Back
Top